Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
If its his property & his tree's I'd offer him a hand.
Its none of my business what someone else does to their property unless it hurts mine. If you feel it devalued your land petition the town for a reassessment & try to get your taxes lowered.
I'm about as against a community of nosy bodies telling a person what they can & cant do with their own property as a person can be.
So you are against zoning and homeowner association rules? Should your neighbor be able to build and open a 7-11 grocery store where the woods use to be next door to your home? If he owns the land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Since this is a debate forum, I'll try and interject some debate:

Why would you think you have any say over what your neighbor does on his property? The fact that you would consider legal action against a property owner for taking action on his personal property is more of a topic for debate than some guy cutting down his own trees.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:05 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
I don't like to cut down trees but if they need to come down then that's what has to be done. I have a 70 foot pine that I'm going to take down..It's leaning towards my neighbors house and I don't want hurricane winds blowing it down on their house.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Legally...no. But they should out of respect and common courtesy.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
So you are against zoning and homeowner association rules? Should your neighbor be able to build and open a 7-11 grocery store where the woods use to be next door to your home? If he owns the land?
Most of the time, homeowner association rules are just plain stupid or annoying. I would never live in a house that was under a homeowner's association.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,218 times
He can cut them down on HIS property. Would an explanation or "heads up" be nice, yes. Is it required, No.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:57 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
So you are against zoning and homeowner association rules?
Are there zoning or HOA rules in place forbidding people from cutting down trees on their property? If there are, you might have a case. But since the tress have already been cut, my suggestion is to simply plant some bushes on your property so you don't have to see the stumps.

Another way to think of this: If the trees were diseased and the neighbor did not cut them down... and then a storm blew them over onto your house... you'd be even angrier.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I've been begging my neighbor to cut down a gum tree on the property line. He lost four trees last year that were uprooted by wind. One landed on his house. The final tree leans over my house. Yes, it provides a lot of shade. It also makes my backyard unmowable. Literally thousands of gumballs drop into my yard summer and fall. Whenever there's a storm, the next day I spend hours picking up from his tree. I asked him for help when we had the January ice storm, and I had several limbs that were two big for one person to lift as well as hundreds of smaller branches end up in my yard. He always agrees nicely, and then does nothing. Even if I prune the tree which will cost me several hundred dollars (I've had bids), the tree still threatens my house if it should be uprooted like the four others he had. So count yourself lucky.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:38 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Looking out at the stumps that use to be 80 foot tall trees makes me sad. I should have called the police and maybe that would have least slowed the process down. Our property value is affected.

I just read that before anyone in the neighborhood can cut down trees they need the approval of the homeowner association board. This was not done. Maybe the board can sue them. I will look into it.
That's just looking to make trouble. The trees are down. They were on his property. Why make an issue of it? If you intend to stay there, do you want it to be under miserable circumstances? You may need that neighbor sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I'm sorry to hear the trees are gone. Someone should have given you a heads up if anyone was to be in your yard even if the trees aren't yours. Common manners seem to have been lost.
Common manners? It doesn't take manners to take care of one's own property. It DOES take manners to gracefully accept a neighbor's decision to cut his own trees down and leave it at that.
Quote:
Why would it be your business what a neighbor did with his property? You would do what you wanted to yours. Say you were bent on putting in a coop and getting some chickens so your family could enjoy fresh eggs. Would you not get them if your neighbor didn't want you to? If you had a tree, would YOU leave it even though you wanted it down, because your neighbor was worried about HIS property value?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Most of the time, homeowner association rules are just plain stupid or annoying. I would never live in a house that was under a homeowner's association.
Me either. If I own my property, it isn't anybody's business what I do with it.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:48 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:

Thats not quite the same now is it.This is not a zoning issue & home owner associations are usually made up of those busybodies I mentioned. Nobody is trying to force the OP to plant trees on his yard, he has had free enjoyment of those trees & IMHO has little to complain about if the owner cuts them down.

Do you think there wasn't once woods where your house sits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House