Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times

Advertisements

As long as you have ti in wirting its your choice. i persoanlly like unfiinsihed floor but that is just me.You might need to see a attorney if you can't settle it.I just hope you have the specifics in writing as to prefinished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,445 times
Builder is offering to let me see the finished product at design center (compare the two samples). Builder also states that the current installed floors are 40-60 cents more expensive than what I chose stated that additional cost is due to additional labor (sanding and staining) vice factory doing it. Builder hinted on compensating me. What is, if any, appropriate compensation. I know that the floors I chose cost builder $12395.00 but what I do not know is cost to rip up current ones and install the ones I chose. Thanks again

To better inform everyone cost was/is not huge deal as builder gave me 20K in design center incentive.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 PM

I told builder I would deal w/ mistake for 50% compensation roughly 6K. installed floors are eqaully as nice as chosen floors just not the floors I picked (mainly due to additional cost with current floors). Apparently installed floors are "selected wood" ie less knots and better grain. I am not sure if that warrants higher price ( I paid for one level down but ended up getting one level up). At any rate maybe I will get 6k out of deal. I was not sure what to ask for as I do not know cost to rip out and replace floors. We will see what happens and I will keep you guys updated! Thanls for all the help

Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
That is a bad thing to have happen but, it did. Now, it is nice to say "make the builder do this and that". The fact is he will not likely just take the loss. He will make it up some place on your job. Just say'n.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is a bad thing to have happen but, it did. Now, it is nice to say "make the builder do this and that". The fact is he will not likely just take the loss. He will make it up some place on your job. Just say'n.
He already took a loss by providing a higher quality floor than contracted for, before he even offers compensation.

I would consider it a free upgrade, as long as I could get the finish I wanted on the floor.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
I personally think you are getting a better product. So if he throws some $ at you to boot you come out ahead. I know it was not your pick but floor finishing is so consistant now that if you like his sample I would probably go with it.

I might also double check everything else- in my experience mistakes are like celebrity deats they seem to come in pairs and trios. YMMV.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 PM

Builder and I settled at 4k plus an additional sand and coat on the HW floors. I feel pretty good w/ my compensation. Thanks for all your input!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House