Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:54 PM

262 posts, read 1,229,264 times

Advertisements

Well, thank you all for the sound advice. I am working on letting it go and I know eventually I will.
Brian, I wish it were that easy...where he could just fix what he doesn't like... but the biggest problem he has with it is that it's in a secluded area-can't really do anything about that. Oh, well. Woa is me, wooooaaa is meee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 AM

942 posts, read 2,576,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
OH... The first house I bought here I really liked the layout and it was newer in a nice area but the commute to work was killing me so I sold it 2.5 yrs later. Then I found a small townhouse, newer also, nice place and just purrrrrfect for me alone, which I was. Then I met my current "other half" and we didn't quite fit in the TH plus he likes to tinker and has a lot, a lot, a lot, did I say A LOT, of tools. So, we went house hunting. My only demand was that it had to be close to work, or "closer". He wanted a yard. I love to look at houses and go into open houses. He doesn't.
One day we drove to 17 "for sale" - too far, too dark, too small, too big, too anything. On the way back to the TH, we passed THIS house and the owner happened to see me writing down the phone # and invited us in. It had a "nice" feel when you walked in. It's an older home, low ceilings, small bedrooms, BIG yard, big kitchen, fenced and gated, big hedges (privacy) but it needed a zillion and one things to be remodeled and/or updated. I wasn't totally opposed to it and I knew that to be closer to work I had to give up some things. I also knew he wasn't going to spend another day driving around again and I thought he should have SOME say in the decision. Why? I'll never know. I should have just done it myself. But he WANTED it. Why? Because it has this huge, huge triple storage building in the back and a HUGER mango tree.
Not only did he get tired of all the remodeling he promised he was going to do, he doesn't clean up the yard, I hate the mango leaves on the ground, I hate the low ceilings and small bedrooms and my intention was to fix it and sell it. Well, he's married to this house and I can't stand it. It's all nice and pretty and all but I hate it with a passion. I lost out on selling at the "right" time and now I'm stuck. As soon as the timing is right again, this is going up for sale and he can stay with the new owners and sleep under the mango tree!

So.........make sure you BOTH like everything about it. Think it over once, twice, and then think again.
VPCats....I am laughing soo hard. Your husband sounds like mine. However, he hates this house because he ended up with NO garage for his tools. We had to convert the garage into the fourth bedroom.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,114,595 times
Well Pixie... there's always a 2nd story you can add and he and his tools can relocate upstairs! I'm thinking about that myself. :-)) Too bad permits take soooooo long.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Well Pixie... there's always a 2nd story you can add and he and his tools can relocate upstairs! I'm thinking about that myself. :-)) Too bad permits take soooooo long.
That is a thought...hummm

I'd much rather sell and move....

You know those houses with the seperate garage that has the apartment on top?? They have them up north.

I think thats the ideal setting.

I get the house he could have the ENTIRE garage. Im being a meanie. Were still not speaking to one another. He's still on my s*** list. However he might me gettingoff because when he woke up for work this morning he left me cafe con leche in the microwave. I think hes trying to make amends.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,114,595 times
Ahhhhh Cafe con Leche? What about the Cuban Toast???? He'll need to shape up if he wants to get past the speaking part!.... LOLLLLLL

I would sell too before I put another penny on this house.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Ahhhhh Cafe con Leche? What about the Cuban Toast???? He'll need to shape up if he wants to get past the speaking part!.... LOLLLLLL

I would sell too before I put another penny on this house.
I could do with out the Cuban Toast with butter. I dont need all the extra calories but I cant go without the cafe con leche!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 PM

791 posts, read 1,813,771 times
Smile Decisions, Decisions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Well, thank you all for the sound advice. I am working on letting it go and I know eventually I will.
Brian, I wish it were that easy...where he could just fix what he doesn't like... but the biggest problem he has with it is that it's in a secluded area-can't really do anything about that. Oh, well. Woa is me, wooooaaa is meee!
NYMom,

Looks like I'm in a similar situation as you. With us, I found the house of my dreams, but it's not secluded enough for my hubby. He loves the house too, but not the location. He doesn't want ANY neighbors, which I don't either...really. However, I love this house so much, I'd be willing to have the neighbors just to have the house.

Alas, like you...I'm afeared I'm gonna have to let it go. And sure, I could beg, plead and give him the sad eyes, and I'd probably get the house....but it's not worth the consequences...for him or me. Not on something this major. The only way we'd get it is if he were sure he'd be able to live with the noises & issues that come with living in town.

And who knows...5 years from now I'll probably be telling him how glad I am that we got the country house after all. Because after living in tract houses all my life, a little peace & quiet & Privacy will be worth it's weight in GOLD.

But that's what we did with the house we're in now. Hubby was commuting an hour each way to work, and we wanted to get something closer. Then we saw our current house and fell in love. I told him it was up to him, because he was the one with the long drive. He said he'd rather have the house than the shorter drive. And after all was said and done, everything turned out just fine....because the decision to keep the long commute what his, and that's the way it should have been. If he'd have said he'd rather be closer to work...we'd have kept looking.

Just hang in there NYMom. When the right place comes along, you'll BOTH love it and you'll know it was worth the wait.

Boof

Old 04-07-2007, 10:48 PM

262 posts, read 1,229,264 times
Thanks, Boof. But, if I may ask, if you both love the house you're in now, why are you looking to move?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:35 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,435,637 times
Quote:
Plus all the things he dislikes about it now will bother him 100 times more when we are living there and that's just not fair to him.
You're wise for that! Always better to find something you both have to give a little to feel good about... IMHO. This way it won't be YOUR home, but a home for BOTH of you.

My husband and I sat down and made a list of what we wanted in a home (the must haves... fireplace, office, kitchen island, etc.) We wouldn't settle for anything less than both of our essentials put together.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 AM

791 posts, read 1,813,771 times
Smile Reason For Moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Thanks, Boof. But, if I may ask, if you both love the house you're in now, why are you looking to move?
NYMom,

The reason we're looking to move is to get the heck out of California.

We've lived in our current house for 17 years, however I've lived in CA all my life. Barely been out of CA for vacations. LOL It's funny, when we got married 23 yrs ago, I told my husband he'd NEVER get me out of CA. Little did I know how much it would change.

Plus, even if we weren't leaving CA, We're wanting to get out of this tract house and find an old house with character & history. I've always loved the pre-1945 architecture, and we've decided to quit dreaming and start looking. Finally!

So...there ya have it.

Happy House Hunting,
Boof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House