Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend the G.E. Profile. Had lots of problems with my dishwasher. Repaired after 4 years. Broke again and replaced it after 6 years. Double oven broke after 5 years (as did many of my neighbors) Very expensive to repair so just replaced everything. I wouldn't buy G.E. again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
no

Old 06-12-2009, 05:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Good deal LIC! Come back 6 months - 1 year from now and let us know how they are doing

I actually changed my mind, and am going with a different brand, but only because I can get a better deal on Electrolux, and my husband likes the Wave Touch option LOL. Just curious - what did you think of the side by side fridge? Seems like the french door/bottom freezer is more popular these days.
Thanks Starry!

I went to PC Richards and they showed us the Electrolux. It is a part of their checklist apparently but I heard it is very good. Congrats!

I haven't had the delivery yet but I will let you know when it is all set up.

At first we were going to go with bottom freezer but after investigating both options we decided to go with the side by side for a couple of reasons.

Although bottom draws can be locked we figured side by sides would be safer around children. Also for the most part bottom loaders aren't as organized as a side by side with shelves. The bottoms although some have shelves , would still be piled up in my opinion. And the most important opinion...I thought it was cooler.

The side by side I am retiring will be sent to the garage to house the adult beverages.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I would not recommend the G.E. Profile. Had lots of problems with my dishwasher. Repaired after 4 years. Broke again and replaced it after 6 years. Double oven broke after 5 years (as did many of my neighbors) Very expensive to repair so just replaced everything. I wouldn't buy G.E. again.
Glad I took the 5 year service warranty that covers everything. Hopefully we will have better luck than you did. We're very happy about it and were hosting christmas this year.(my wife was too happy)

Old 06-14-2009, 03:22 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
So, in doing my kitchen research, I came across the GE double oven, and fell in love Of course I like the look of them, but I am curious about their performance compared to other brands.

We would be looking into an electric cooktop, french door fridge w/ outside water/ice, dishwasher, double oven, and microwave. I'm not concerned about induction (believe you need special pots for that anyway, if not, then hmmm). All in all, it's probably going to run me $10k, and I'm just wondering if they are worth the money, or if there is something that is better (and maybe as pretty? haha!).
You have gotten some good GENERAL advice on this thread, but I would encourage you to do your research in specifics. Like any manufacturer, GE has strengths and weaknesses in it's line. For example, the Profile range may be better than another manufacturer for the same dollar, but the dishwasher is overpriced for the same features. One poster mentioned the Bosch vs the Monogram, but didn't list any specific models. Without the specific model number you may be comparing apples to oranges. For example, if you take one and only one criterion, quietness, you will have widespread differences throughout both the GE and Bosch lines.

The decibel (db) rating on each model allows you to decide how much "quietness" you are willing to pay for, i.e. expensive Bosch models run from 42db to 45 db. Cheaper models at 50 to 57 db are much louder. This is only an illustration, but you can see that price may be misleading if you are comparing a Monogram (and Monogram is not the same as Profile) with a db of 55 to a Bosch with a db of 42.

I am currently designing a kitchen for a vacation home and will end up mixing brands because I cannot find ANY manufacturer that makes what I want and am willing to pay for in EVERY appliance.

One final note on "French door" refrigerators. They are very much in style, but are not practical for my personal needs. I do not like having to open both doors to look for the item that I put on the right side of the refrig 10 minutes ago, but that my wife moved to the left side. Also, opening both doors lets out the cold air and makes the refrig work harder to re-establish the correct temp. Finally, the bottom freezer is too hard on my back to rummage for items at the bottom. These may not be problems for you and the beauty of the French door may offset the inconvenience. However, for me the side-by-side is the most functional.

Good luck, but make sure you analyze every appliance individual to your needs rather than just falling for the whole line.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM

16 posts, read 28,472 times
Thumbs down GE is junk!

We had appliances that were bought when our house was new - 1966. They lasted, and were actually still working, when we remodeled.
When we bought new GE appliances ( Profile) we thought we would be getting the same quality. Wrong!
GE came and replaced about three items in the refrigerator and then just finally offered to give us a 20 percent coupon for a new one. We still have the refrigerator but the ice maker only works about 30 percent of the time.
The GE oven started having problems the first week we used it. Having an oven that will not shut off is not a good thing!
The digital panel in the oven is defective. The panel has had to be replaced back in 2009 and is now messed up again. The only recourse is to fork out another 300 dollars to replace it again.... and it will likely go out again right after the one year warranty is up.
They no longer make good appliances. I guess the idea is to make them where they break after a few years so you will have to junk it and buy another.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
I've even seen Jack Welch on CNBC stating they simply couldn't compete in the appliance business. I did just get a ge 18 cf frig and Whirlpool gas range with clock for 707 usd--taxed and delivered. I have a year to but the extended warranty from lowe's for 60 for two more years. The electronics overkill on some of these appliances are an expensive repair waiting to happen.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
The electronics overkill on some of these appliances are an expensive repair waiting to happen.
This.

The old appliances were all mechanical. Nowadays, folks want everything, so manufacturers will pile on the features. And the more features there are, the greater the chances there are for things to break.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
The Maytag dishwashers used to be great and last a long time. I think there were problems associated with the merger. My dad bought one a few years ago, and the board had to be replaced within 6 months. It took three visits and a few weeks to get it right. Would have been a huge inconvenience if they were still working. I had bought one in 2003 for 269 at Lowe's and it was great. Last year I bought the Energy star GE, and I'm kind of holding my breath on it.

Did you know you can actually use your computer to cook with?
Attached Thumbnails
Are GE Profile appliances worth the money?-shrimp.jpg  

Last edited by khuntrevor; 02-24-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
So, in doing my kitchen research, I came across the GE double oven, and fell in love Of course I like the look of them, but I am curious about their performance compared to other brands.

We would be looking into an electric cooktop, french door fridge w/ outside water/ice, dishwasher, double oven, and microwave. I'm not concerned about induction (believe you need special pots for that anyway, if not, then hmmm). All in all, it's probably going to run me $10k, and I'm just wondering if they are worth the money, or if there is something that is better (and maybe as pretty? haha!).
if you're redoing the kitchen and have an opportunity to purchase induction, you absolutely should! i have a good friend who is a chef and he got one from home a year ago and he LOVES it. electric is 30% efficient, gas is something like 60% efficient and induction is 90%! plus, as you're cooking, you can wipe off the stove top because it is not hot to the touch! but it is more expensive, but you'll make that up in savings in electricity (especially as rates go up).

i think GE Profile is nice. i have the range and microwave (it was in the house i purchased). but i don't think i'd buy it over another comparable brand. my uncle has had poor experience with their "standard" line though, so with GE, i think you need to buy their higher end to get the better quality.

so if that's still true, then they are at least partially worth the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House