Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:22 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm just daydreaming - call it planning ahead of time.

I've seen a number of new large metal storage buildings, sometimes in the form of quonset huts. I'm thinking that I might want to get one of those if the next house I buy doesn't have a garage already. I think I'd like one large enough to drive into.

Has anyone put one of these on their property? I'm not sure how much they cost, how difficult they are to install, how well they resist high winds, or what model is better than another. I've glanced at a number of websites that require me to fill out all of these fields; then someone will probably hassle me for the next hundred years trying to sell me something.

Got any info? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Try Morgan Buildings. We had a Morgan storage building before but not large enough to drive into, our was 10x12. Great for storing all of the yard equipment, tools and extra bags of mulch, potting soil, etc. They are better built than some of the cheap ones. This is one product that trying to find the cheapest will cost you more in the long run. A good quality metal building will have a 10 year or more warranty along w/ a finish that does not need to be painted. If you buy something too cheap when it comes to a metal product that will be exposed to all outdoor elements it will rust in no time.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:13 AM

Thanks, I'm thinking that if I have to downsize when I shop for a new home that this may be an option for storage and a studio/workshop. I'd like to have a few windows and a big door.

I like the ones with the curved roof and shiny aluminum or steel. Does anyone have one of these?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 AM

big metal storage buildings-dsc00242.jpg

This is what I want. Does anyone have experience with this type of building?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Ah yes. Yes, I have experience w/ that kind of building. They are old buildings used from WWII. There are several around in different areas. People bought them and put them in different places for different reasons. We had one that we rented for many years. The one we were in was in a city/town close to Dallas that had a small front "showroom" and the rest was warehouse w/ a small, dinky bathroom that had been put in off to one side. That one looks bigger than the one we had, lol. I've seen a newer one that was put up in someones backyard last year. It took up their entire backyard. It is not appealing in its current setting to say the least. Everytime I passed it as it was being put up I thought they were going to put an airplane in it as it reminds me of an airplane hanger. Where you can get one now? Try calling several metal structure companies. There are plenty around as we have used some to build commercial buildings for us (which I need to call one here real soon for another venture, woo-hoo ). One company is in Athens, Texas. Look close at commercial buildings and see if any of them are metal. If it is fairly new find out who built it for them.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
There are several companies still making that type of arch steel building. Basically, you can specify the width of the building within their manufacturing capacity and they will calculate the steel thickness and fasteners, and they'll tell you the standard "width" of a panel section and the cost per each. You determine the length of the building by how many panel sections you want to erect. End walls can be supplied or fab'd on site. Essentially, these are free standing structures.

Typically, these buildings are used for agricultural applications because they're not very attractive compared to many other modern steel building designs with straight vertical walls, which give you a "tensioned" wall structure engineered structure.

The newer building uses less steel and has more fully usable square footage on the inside for the dollar. It's also easier to install windows and doors on the side walls because they're straight, and you can easily add skylight panels at the eaves or in the flat roof panels. They're also easier for roof penetrations because the roof panel is mostly flat.

Both buildings are easy to erect on a proper footing or foundation. Depending upon how large a structure (and how tall) you want, you may need to use a forklift and/or manlift to erect the building.

In my experience, you need to aggressively shop the deals available in your local marketplace because shipping costs may be a big factor in your final delivered cost of a building. Staying with "standard" building sizes from a manufacturer will help keep your cost lower.

There are some manufacturers that offer a "turn-key" package, such as Morton Buildings. There should be a local rep in your area who can quote a completed building cost to you. If you factor in all the costs of having a finished building, they (or others) may be highly competitive with purchasing a bare building kit and setting it up yourself.

Do allow for your climate zone and weather conditions when you choose your building. You may need to insulate, which is best done when the building is erected.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Do you have a ball park estimate of what these things cost? I filled out the info for one company that sells these and got the catalogs, but they don't have prices. I'm thinking of buying a lot and storing my things in it while I figure out what I'm doing, which may take a year or so.

The theme of this scenario is big metal shed sitting next to a Katrina cottage. I can't see myself living in a condo. So depressing.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:05 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Better see what the zoning codes allow???

I would be careful before getting in too deep.

Better understand what the zoning allows. Trying to remember in Florida but I think I did see quonset huts type buildings. You are basically trying to call it a storage shed.

In many areas the definition of a shed will be something not permanently attached to the ground in any manner. It will have a size limitation. Like 10' max. Usually not taxed in my experience. Treated as a mobile structure.

If it is on a slab can be treated totally different.

If you get out of bounds, Lord knows what the requirements are?? Probably like most other structures, drawings, permits, etc, etc. How will it be taxed? Is it even permitted in that format??? Some places regulate what it can look like.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I know some people that put in a Morton building that was probably 30 feet x 40 feet or so and it was $45,000. I would say that they don't resist high winds well as you usually see them toppled over after a good windstorm. You would need to have it firmly secured to some kind of a foundation but even then they are not as structurally sound as a regular frame garage would be. It is probably less expensive to build a frame garage then putting up a Morton building.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:45 AM

I won't be in Florida and will check zoning before I do anything. The one in the photo is in Florida, though.

Do Morton Building's look like that? I thought they look like fake barns or warehouses. I'm really into the aesthetics of the shiny metal and curved roofline.

My plan is to live somewhere without uptight neighbors or protective covenants. I'm a hoodlum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House