U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,680,485 times

Advertisements

• What's your take on Vinyl White Fence vs. Wood Fence?
  • Do you have either one?
  • If you could go back & re-buy your fence would you make a differenet choice?
Any referrals or companies I should steer clear of in Central NJ ?
We need 6 ft. high - We are looking for privacy & security.
So far the estimates I'v gotten for Vinyl Fence are very high. I really would prefer the Vinyl over the wood due to the fact that the Wood fence will have to be stained & treated every year & that's a major pain in the a$$ (time consuming & costly)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 03:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,391,087 times
Intresting that you ask that, I just put a new fense in last weekend! My advise for you depends on this
Do you have pets? I have two dogs and a white Vinal (picket style) fence on the front of my house. They jump up on it and have broken it a few times in some places. Also when their feet are dirty, it will stain the white if not cleaned quickly. If you have pets, I would go wooden. Even if they do break it, you can replace just one board, not a $75 section.
If you dont have pets, the vinal is well worth it. It looks much more modern and requires no further attention, other than an occasional wipe down of dust and cleaning the grass stain after cutting the grass nearby.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:59 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,680,485 times
Default Thanks

We are planning on getting a big dog as soon as the fence is installed. I am looking into the heavy duty PVC vinyl white with the lattice top. We have a large piece of property so it will look nice.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:10 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,046,661 times
I do not like vinyl fences - they started appearing a few years ago in our neighborhood - without exception none of them look good now - think white plastic lawn chair left out in the elements for a few years. Kids and cars have caused damage that can't be repaired and they look phony. Can you tell I don't like them, LOL?

Now if I had to fence my back 5 acres and the fence wouldn't be were I would have to see it up close every day, then I guess I might consider a vinyl fence - no, not really - couldn't bring myself to do it.

Real wooden fences are expensive too - not the flimsy ones but a handmade wooden fence - sturdily constructed and installed - probably more than a plastic fence.

How about the decorative aluminum fences - no upkeep on them and there are many styles.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:40 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,391,087 times
Default welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
We are planning on getting a big dog as soon as the fence is installed. I am looking into the heavy duty PVC vinyl white with the lattice top. We have a large piece of property so it will look nice.
Well, the dog will definately put wear on it. After experience, I would say a wooden privacy fence.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House