U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM

188 posts, read 913,381 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!
Has anyone ever installed a chain link fence themselves? If so..how hard was it and was it any cheaper then having a company install it? We really need to fence in our yard, but due to me being laid off, we are wondering if we can do it ourselves. I am going to call a few places first and get some estimates and then go to Lowes or Home Depot and figure up how much the materials would be. If you have done it yourselves..let me know how and what we need ( people, tools, etc )Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 36,420,712 times
Just finished doing my own backyard this afternoon. It is quite easy really IF the holes for the posts dig easy. That is the hardest part of the whole job. I put up the entire fence myself with the occasional help of my 11 year old son to hold something or just to be out there with me. I found it was MUCH cheaper to do it yourself that it was to have somebody come in and do it. The area I fenced in was 120 X 95 (with part of one long side being the house) and it ran $1800 for everything.

Including taking down the old rotten wood fence it took 3 days total but it is easy digging around here. I put up a 4' high fence, but going to a 6' isn't that much more. My price includes 3 gates; 2 - 4 foot gates, and 1 - 12 foot drive gate so I can get my camper and boat into the backyard.

Here are a couple of places that I followed their advice and it went up without a headache of any kind. The first one has a very handy check list you can use to figure out exactly what materials you will need to do the job right. Plus a nice chart for determining distance between center line posts so they come out evenly spaced.
How to install chain link fence
Installing a Chain Link Fence and Gate
HOME IMPROVEMENT : Fences & Gates : Installing a Chain Link Fence : DIY Network
http://www.associationsites.com/page...=901&usr=clfma

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM

188 posts, read 913,381 times
Thanks for the info!! I will look at those sites if we decide to do it ourselves. I had a few people tell me that it was easy as long as you had some really strong people to help pull the fence tight. What I would like about doing it ourselves, is that we can buy the materials a little at a time. Won't hurt my checkbook as much!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,590,100 times
You want to buy (or rent) a "come-along" to help stretch the chain link. We have one, my husband used it to fix my parents fence. I don't understand completely, but part of it hooks on to the fencing, and part hooks on to a post or rail - and you ratchet it tight, then you can use the ties to secure the fencing in place.

Not too difficult, just (like all DIY) time consuming! Good luck!! I think doing it yourself (if your capable of putting in the time) is always the smart move, assuming you have the patience to do it right!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 36,420,712 times
Fence stretcher is about $30 at Lowes. To get the fence the right tension really isn't that hard, even on my longest run of 120 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House