Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,186,006 times

Advertisements

1. Take off the jumper wire.
2. Put a 2-prong back in. or
3. Put a 3 prong in and label it "no equipment ground". or
4. Put a GFCI outlet and label IT "no equipment ground". or
5. Run a ground wire from the outlet back to the panel and connect it to the proper bus bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM

654 posts, read 3,447,002 times
Yep, I recognized that as a bootleg ground as well (read on alot of books on common wiring problems). Very unsafe which would make one think its grounded when its really not.

My house (built in the mid-60's) is also on the two-wire system. Recently my uncle and I replaced all of the wiring in the master bath and bedroom as I wanted a fully grounded system in my house, since alot of the tools and equipment (computers and other sensitive gear) I use require 3-prong outlets.

My county also have no inspection or permitting requirements but me, I will make sure my electrical job is done right the first time, and usually if I don't quite understand on how to do it I will ask for help.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:02 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,213,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

A lot of houses will have the neutral terminus and the ground terminus twisted together and connected to the grounding rod at the same point. Is that proper ground?

Third...

How are you supposed to remedy that? Put it back on a 2 prong outlet? Install a GFI with the downstream outlets covered?

The neutral and ground are to be bonded at the main service disconnect.

2-wire 120v circuits are allowed to have either a 2-wire receptacle, or a GFCI labeled "no equipment ground".

I believe cosmic was the first to answer my question correctly.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Wow, good for Cosmic. I guess I didn't realize it was a test or a contest. What's his prize????

Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
. . . What's his prize????
I don't know. No red-sticker on his inspection?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,661,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
The neutral and ground are to be bonded at the main service disconnect.

2-wire 120v circuits are allowed to have either a 2-wire receptacle, or a GFCI labeled "no equipment ground".

I believe cosmic was the first to answer my question correctly.
I didn't read the whole thread before I posted, unfortunately.

What contigency does bonding the neutral and ground address? To a layman it seems that this would make the integrity of the connection to the grounding rod exceptionally important to prevent ground loops (as opposed to separate connections to the "earth terminal").

Also, if the ground on a GFI receptacle is bootlegged as depicted in Spider's picture, will it still trip with a fault current?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,661,783 times
Meaning - will it trip if the fault current is through the casing of an appliance. I'm sure it would still trip if the fault current was through me.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I didn't read the whole thread before I posted, unfortunately.

What contigency does bonding the neutral and ground address? To a layman it seems that this would make the integrity of the connection to the grounding rod exceptionally important to prevent ground loops (as opposed to separate connections to the "earth terminal").

Also, if the ground on a GFI receptacle is bootlegged as depicted in Spider's picture, will it still trip with a fault current?

the grounding conductor has to be bonded to the grounded conductor to complete the return path. the electrode (ground rod) is a secondary return path to the transformer serving the load, which is connected to an electrode also.

there is no need for a bootleg ground @ a GFCI recep, but if you did, it should only work if connected to the load side neutral terminal. the GFCI would simply see it as a grounded (neutral) connection. it will still trip @ the 5mA threshold.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM

A jumper from a neutral to the ground screw on an outlet should NEVER be done.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
A jumper from a neutral to the ground screw on an outlet should NEVER be done.
we're not saying it should.

the question was, would a GFCI work properly if this was done to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House