Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 PM
ira ira started this thread

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times

Advertisements

I need to paint my living room and want to use no-VOC paint. Has anyone used Aura from Benjamin Moore? Any other brands you would recommend? I know Home Depot just came out with the new brand of no-VOC paint, I just don't know if it's a good quality.

I appreciate any suggestions/feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:56 PM

157 posts, read 446,009 times
We just used Aura paint in our girls bedrooms. We were very pleased with the quality. It was very quick drying as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 AM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
As the previous poster states,it is VERY quick drying,if you are rolling NEVER try to reroll any holidays (spots),while it is tacky,otherwise it will "texture" the wall,instead,wait until it is completely dry and re roll.I covered a blood red wall in 1 coat with a mist blue,unheard of for most paints,I did put a second coat for uniformity because I had re-coated the edging.Overall,if you are comfortable painting,this is well worth the $$$$$.We painted every room in our house and little or no paint odor,if thats an issue with you.Myself, after years at sea,I like the smell of fresh paint,and I keep a gallon of diesel fuel in the garage just for the aroma,LOL!!! Happy rollin'

Old 05-17-2009, 07:20 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
I need to paint my living room and want to use no-VOC paint. Has anyone used Aura from Benjamin Moore? Any other brands you would recommend? I know Home Depot just came out with the new brand of no-VOC paint, I just don't know if it's a good quality.

I appreciate any suggestions/feedback.
Hi IRA, I am looking at the same paint. Just to clarify, Aura is LOW VOC, not NO! BM makes a new line of new NO VOC's.

I used the Home Depot Freshaire for the kids closet doors and trim (white) and loved it. To be honest, I was shocked at how nice it went on and how scrubbable it is. However, that line doesn't have the color I want!

Last edited by usmcfamily; 05-17-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
As the previous poster states,it is VERY quick drying,if you are rolling NEVER try to reroll any holidays (spots),while it is tacky,otherwise it will "texture" the wall,instead,wait until it is completely dry and re roll.I covered a blood red wall in 1 coat with a mist blue,unheard of for most paints,I did put a second coat for uniformity because I had re-coated the edging.Overall,if you are comfortable painting,this is well worth the $$$$$.We painted every room in our house and little or no paint odor,if thats an issue with you.Myself, after years at sea,I like the smell of fresh paint,and I keep a gallon of diesel fuel in the garage just for the aroma,LOL!!! Happy rollin'
Nitroae, I am still a novice painter....will I have problems with Aura?

Really, no primer needed? I am also looking to go from a dark cranberry to a lighter color.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:33 AM

157 posts, read 446,009 times
Aura is supposed to be self-priming and therefore does not need a separate primer. I'm not sure about going from a dark red to a lighter color though.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Nitroae, I am still a novice painter....will I have problems with Aura?

Really, no primer needed? I am also looking to go from a dark cranberry to a lighter color.
You will not need a primer,if you are a novice,take your time,get good nylon brushes,2"for trim,Purdy or similar.If your walls are smooth,a 3/8 nap roller (again,good quality) should do it. Make a V ow a W on the wall with a roller that is full of paint,but doesn't have excess on it,then fill in the V or W,making a square or rectangle that is about 4 to 6 square feet.Paint buckets with a magnet on it to hold brushes work nicely.Use blue tape on trim to keep excess paint off.Always use a drop cloth that is absorbent(no plastic) you don't want paint drops getting on your feet and traveling room to room.Most BM paint stores have people who will give good advice on what to do,advice hit or miss at a Lowes or HD.Good Luck and lets see before and after pictures of your work.Painting is probably the best home improvement project in terms of appeal and value added.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:52 AM
ira ira started this thread

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Thanks, all. You've been very helpful.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 AM

302 posts, read 2,230,961 times
Don't waste your time using blue painter's tape. Paint will seep past the edges anyway. Spend the time you would use applying and removing the tape to cutting in slowly and carefully.

The tape is good to keep roller spray off baseboards.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Don't waste your time using blue painter's tape. Paint will seep past the edges anyway. Spend the time you would use applying and removing the tape to cutting in slowly and carefully.

The tape is good to keep roller spray off baseboards.
Disagree with your post,if applied firmly to the surface with no wrinkles,you will get a nice clean edge.OP is a novice painter and thus will need all the help they can get for a finished look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House