Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM

112 posts, read 379,627 times

Advertisements

So I'm getting my locks changed after my renovation is complete. But what about the garage? There's a handle and key hole but the previous owner has no idea about it. It's now being operated by a garage door opener with only 1 remote.

Do you guys think it's a security issue? What's my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,863 times
When I purchased my home last year, I also changed the door locks for security reasons, but reference to the garage door I ensured I had both garage remotes. You could possibly replace the lock on the door, by finding out the manufacturer of the garage door or possibly have the key whole sealed with a hardner (pickup from the local hardware store), this would ease your mind, and have the safety for you and your family.. Oh and depending on what type of garage door opener you have, you can purchase new remotes and reset/reprogram the code on your remote, red or orange button as an option. I purchased mine through Home Depot.

Good Luck...

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Most of them you can reprogrammed pretty easily. Unless it i a really old one there should be a programming button on the unit. Hold the button down for like ten seconds to reset all the codes and disable the remotes.Then hit it again and hit the button on your remote to reprogram it. If you are unsure and that worried about it call a garage door company and have them do it.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
If you have a garage door opener you should NOT be using the lock anyway. It offers zero extra protection, and in fact, if it is still operational it can cause damage to the garage door if it is latched and someone hits the opener button. I installed garage doors for years and can assure you, the lock sets provided by any of the door manufacturers are at best a deterrent for the LAZIEST thief out there. The best garage door lock you will ever see is the opener itself, nobody is going to be able to push the door open when it is closed with an operator, you will tear the door apart before you get it to move. It was company policy to inform the home owner and then dis-able the factory door locks from engaging so there wouldn't be a problem later.

Just reuse your existing remotes and re-program them, all openers (90% made by the Chamberlain Group) for the past decade+ use a rolling code security code system and once reset/reprogrammed they are only going to work with the remotes you program into it.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
If you have a garage door opener you should NOT be using the lock anyway. It offers zero extra protection, and in fact, if it is still operational it can cause damage to the garage door if it is latched and someone hits the opener button. I installed garage doors for years and can assure you, the lock sets provided by any of the door manufacturers are at best a deterrent for the LAZIEST thief out there. The best garage door lock you will ever see is the opener itself, nobody is going to be able to push the door open when it is closed with an operator, you will tear the door apart before you get it to move. It was company policy to inform the home owner and then dis-able the factory door locks from engaging so there wouldn't be a problem later.

Just reuse your existing remotes and re-program them, all openers (90% made by the Chamberlain Group) for the past decade+ use a rolling code security code system and once reset/reprogrammed they are only going to work with the remotes you program into it.
Sorry to disagree with you to some extent, but living in a hurricane zone the sliding door lock is very important. I also have extra drop-in, vertical braces for hurricane protection. Each of these provide more support to the door to resist wind damage. I also put them in place when I'll be out of town for an extended length. I have never had a key to the lock but, I have always unlocked it from the inside. I completely agree with you about trying to get in at any other time though.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Never lived in direct Hurricane zone, so that never came to mind. I can see where that would add a bit to keeping the panels where they belonged.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 PM

112 posts, read 379,627 times
Thanks for the advice. i will check the model and see if i can reset the codes. And I'll need to get another remote. We don't use the manual lock on the door. I don't even know if a key exists for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House