Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM

44 posts, read 122,498 times

Advertisements

We are calling for service on our ac unit later this week, but since I know there are many knowledgeable folks that frequent these forums, I thought I might extend my hand out for some advice.
Our AC unit is a ground unit that heats and cools in our house in the harsh summers of Florida for the past 6 years. Last summer and now this summer, we began to notice that it was not cooling as well as it used to. In the past couple of days we encountered a nice large block of ice in our main duct. Okay, so we turn it off and suffer the heat with just fans for about 18 hours in order to allow it to melt. We turned the unit back on and all was well up until about 5 hours ago. We have the thermostat set to 75 but the interior is reading 80 and 81 with no real signs of cooling. Our highs were only in the 90s today and the summer will be much crueler as we continue forward. We cut back the bushes that surround our outdoor unit, but that has not provided any relief.
With the information that I have provided, does it sound as though our unit just needs to be serviced or replaced? I was under the impression that they were supposed to last about 15-20 years....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
If you have a block of ice, then the freon needs to be checked. It may very well be the unit is shot, but it could also just need a charge.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Also could be a restriction or two in the evaporator coil, depending on where the freeze-up is. For now, since it is an AC and not a heat pump, run the fan only for an hour, then run the AC for two hours, then the fan for 1/2 hour, and so on. Take pictures of where the coil freezes. If it is just near the expansion valve, you may get off easy. If you have restrictions, the evap. coil is bad and you will need the system purged and a new drier and freon at a minimum. Good news is the compressor is probably fine.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:25 AM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
Your evaporator coil is probably not getting sufficient air flow across it for whatever reason,clogged evap coil,fan failing or running slow,filter clogged.However,if you have a leak,for at least a little while,the evap coil will freeze up.Have the unit completely serviced,gauged up to check charge,condenser and evaporator cleaned,filter changed.It doesn't sound like the end of the world here.Units age and require servicing.Good Luck

Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Check your filters first. If you didn't know you have a filter you probably need a evap. clean and to find the filter. Clean the outside unit then if all that is done and it's still freezing you might be low on freon or have a bad or failing fan motor. Refrigerant charge is almost always the last thing that needs to be checked although it also could be the only problem and as was mentioned earlier you could have a restriction in the refrigerant circuit.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 PM

44 posts, read 122,498 times
Thank you to each of you You were all pretty much correct. I had a serviceman come out on Monday and he had mentioned that the freeze up was probably due to a dirty filter (which he had changed just before he came). We were low on freon, so he added about 2.5 lbs for us. I would have had a leak check performed, but we are not as rich as we'd like to think at this moment. But he did mention that because it is a "builder's unit" that the leak is more than likely in the evap coil. So, for now, we are back to being cool but we have been advised to replace the unit within the next few years. Again, thank you all for your advice and wisdom

Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 PM

You can do a small leak check yourself. Look at as much of the copper line that runs from the inside unit to the outside unit. You'll be looking for oily residue basically. Look at the joints and bends, the outdoor unit entering pipes and the indoor entering pipes.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 PM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallala View Post
Thank you to each of you You were all pretty much correct. I had a serviceman come out on Monday and he had mentioned that the freeze up was probably due to a dirty filter (which he had changed just before he came). We were low on freon, so he added about 2.5 lbs for us. I would have had a leak check performed, but we are not as rich as we'd like to think at this moment. But he did mention that because it is a "builder's unit" that the leak is more than likely in the evap coil. So, for now, we are back to being cool but we have been advised to replace the unit within the next few years. Again, thank you all for your advice and wisdom
You should still buy some coil cleaner(non-acidic) from an A/C supply store to clean your condenser,a pump sprayer will be fine to apply it with.Hose it off after it foams,but before it dries.Also,you can get a spray in evaporator cleaner.When you do the Condenser(outside coils) power should be off,when you do the Evaporator (inside coils),fan can be running.Change your filter at least every quarter.One more point,any service tech that adds refrigerant without preforming a leak check first isn't worth spit.2.5lbs. is WAY above any reasonable loss,find a new guy.Also,if possible,try to get some shade for your Condenser,there are purpose built ones available,but some lattice will do just fine,this will keep your operating pressures lower and your unit will work less hard.

Last edited by nitroae23; 06-04-2009 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 AM

I've seen people add 2.5 lbs to a system that only had a clogged evaporator. Looks real low if you have no clue what you're doing.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
This happened to us. While waiting for the A/C guy to show up, I kept looking at it myself and realized the tray wasn't draining... the hose was plugged. I happened to have some drain cleaner (acid style) on hand. I removed the hose, poured about 3 tbsps in followed by about a cup of water, then hooked the hose back up. It began draining immediately. I canceled the A/C guy.

When we moved and sold the place 2 years later, we hadn't had another repeat or any other problems with the system.

Saved us the $130 service fee, plus labor and whatever else he would've tacked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House