Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 AM

107 posts, read 268,120 times

Advertisements

I´m moving to New Hampshire in just a bit over 2 weeks and I´d be looking for a queen bed probably in Mattress Giant. Are there any brands that I should avoid?

any particularly great one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Personally I owuld avaoid all of the big name brands (Serta, etc). You are paying for marketing and advertising. Buy a locally made one directly from a matress factory that sells their own brand. That way you are only paying for the mattress. Forget all the fancy marketing junk. super inner coil springs, or magic soft pillow top, is just a name for what everyone else sells too, but you are paying the salary of the guy who made up those fancy catch phrases.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Personally I owuld avaoid all of the big name brands (Serta, etc). You are paying for marketing and advertising. Buy a locally made one directly from a matress factory that sells their own brand. That way you are only paying for the mattress. Forget all the fancy marketing junk. super inner coil springs, or magic soft pillow top, is just a name for what everyone else sells too, but you are paying the salary of the guy who made up those fancy catch phrases.
Great advice! When we bought our new set we looked at about 1/2 a million sets I think (DW says it wasn't that many or that bad, but I am not too sure) before buying one from a company that just sells in Michigan (Capital bedding) and I will NEVER go back to a Serta or other big name set. This set is way more comfortable, carries a longer and better warranty, and was just about 1/2 the cost of the big names.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
I think the only way to get a bad matress anymore is go buy a broken-down, used one. Our matress and box spring has to be 20 years old, Sealy or Serta I think - but still fine.

Avoid sitting on the bed, particularly if you are over 200#, and it will wear better.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 AM

263 posts, read 744,876 times
i bought a new mattress from a local factory. within a week i was coughing so bad at night i went to my homeopathic doctor. he asked me what was "new" in my life that i was reacting to. i said i just bought a new mattress. he told me that sometimes insecticide is used to keep bugs out of the stuffing materials in the factories. i slept on the couch for two nights and the coughing stopped. the mattress went back. i went downtown and bought a name-brand.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,873,960 times
I go with those that say buy one from a local matress factory. The price is much better, and the quality is far superior..!
I have purchased several from local factory over the years, and it is the ONLY way to go... The one I buy from will gladly let you tour the factory and see how well made their product is.
If the breadlady hit a crummy factory, that's too bad, but certainly not the norm... What the H does a doctor know about how mattress' are built...!??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House