Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Charlton......because they can! We have the precious gift of freedom in this great country of ours to do as we wish within legal limits! Based on that they can paint brick, vinyl siding, woods, stone, steel, and any other material that paint can stick to!

I too am not a fan of painted brick but respect the choice of the owners that do!
Unless you have a garbage HOA infringing your rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:37 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
I'm generally not a huge fan of painted brick, but that picture you posted looks nice! The chipped paint in that scene adds character.
I like the wall too.

I'd never paint my brick house, but there is a house in my neighborhood that is painted and it looks nice. I think it depends on the style of the house and the color of the brick. I've seen some pretty ugly brick.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 AM

635 posts, read 3,093,057 times
Painting brick is often a contentious issue within some circles, especially with the Historic Preservation community. And in general terms and for legitimate reasons, it can be a bad idea to paint some brick with some coatings. But that isn't always the case, nor is painted brick a new "aberration".

And from an architectural perspective, painted brick aesthetic.... is by definition .... a matter of taste as well. For example I generally am not a fan of painted brick. But then again, I've seen many old buildings, especially homes, where the character of the "aged" paint coating, peeling like the photo of the white wall in the first post, was actually quite attractive in an "old world" way.

But the primary technical issues with painted brick are two fold:

1) Once it is done, it is very difficult to undo. Brick has a rough porous surface and the application of paint becomes semi-permanent. So any subsequent desire to remove the paint becomes difficult, tedious, and risks permanent damage to masonry and/or mortar. In the case of "historic" masonry the risk of damage during any removal is exacerbated due to the poorer durability of many bricks made before the mid 1800s.

2) Masonry is porous and is supposed to breathe. It is not waterproof, nor is it supposed to be. Some types of coatings that are water impermeable can cause damage to masonry and other adjacent/related materials as moisture is trapped within the masonry structure.

Below is some more information on painted brick, the issues, how to approach removal/maintenance, and the history:

Brick Houses

Frequently Asked Questions about Historic Masonry

Abstract Masonry Restoration - Experts at Cleaning, Repairing, and Preserving Historic Masonry

Bottom line, most masonry should probably not be painted from a technical perspective, but from an aesthetic perspective it may be an attractive option. In my personal opinion, one of the best looking painted brick options is when it does look weathered and slightly peeled like an old building in the French Quarter

Al

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM

635 posts, read 3,093,057 times
Thumbs down Sandblasting is the worst option possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
I'm generally not a huge fan of painted brick, but that picture you posted looks nice! The chipped paint in that scene adds character.

Note: You can also restore brick to it's original color by sandblasting it.
Not to be argumentative, but please see my prior post with links to the issues and risks with paint removal. Sandblasting and even "pressure washing" can cause irreversible damage to brick, especially older brick. Once the hard outer skin of the brick is breached, the softer inner brick will rapidly spall and deteriorate.

Never sandblast brick or wood, as it will very likely damage the material beyond redemption.

Al

Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Those who believe (1) newness is always better than aged, and (2) uniformity is better than diversity and variation, will never see the beauty in appearances such as the one pictured.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,887 times
Default reply

red brick painted white and then sandblasted is a classic, timeless look. i love it.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Thank you! Painted brick (especially white) is the tackiest looking structural modification I have ever laid eyes on. What an eyesore!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
red brick painted white and then sandblasted is a classic, timeless look. i love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Thank you! Painted brick (especially white) is the tackiest looking structural modification I have ever laid eyes on. What an eyesore!

Uh oh...

Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times
Wow...this thread has really proved a point, huh!
Some ppl like it...some ppl don't. Who'd a thunk it?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
I also like the look of the brick wall however I have to agree that painting an entire brick house doesn't make sense to me. One of the main reasons we decided to build an all brick house was the fact that we wouldn't have to paint it every so many years (and the fact we like the look of brick). I've seen the builders paint the brick on some of the higher end homes ($1M plus) and I wonder why especially when there are so many shades of brick to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House