Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,530 times

Advertisements

It's time for us to paint our house and we just don't have a clue when it comes to exterior colors or color scheme. We'd paint it the existing color, but it's 11 years old and we don't like how it's seemed to take on a yellow appearance in the porch.

A paint salesperson suggested staying with the black door and shutters, and the white trim but getting something with a touch of green to tone down the yellow and to pick up the green in the brick and roof. We found a nice beige/gray Sherwin Williams SW7036 Accessible Beige (looks like the color of gray concrete - not as dark as the photo) that looks great all around the house where I tested it (against the black, white and brick), but when we step back and imagine it on the second level above the porch, we are concerned that it's just too close to the roof color and we have a lot of roof showing. Maybe this is something we shouldn't worry about?? I've seen other homes with a monotone? look. Beige roof, paint, and brick.

I've done numerous drive-bys in my neighborhood to see what others are doing, but to no avail. They either have different roof or brick colors or they are in desperate need of a paint job themselves. I'm going broke buying sample quarts!!!

Please share your opinions and advice. Thank you!!

Also, does anyone know what "style" house (architecture/design) this house is?

Front overall
Attachment 43400
Garage side
Attachment 43401
Paint color we're currently looking at
Attachment 43399
Paint sample at garage door
Attachment 43402

Last edited by cstleddy; 08-31-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
To be honest, it would be easier to tell if the new color option was too close to the color of the roof if you provided a picture that included a painted sample where you could also see the roof. Too me they don't look close enough to look strange, but then, maybe I am not picturing it correctly.

To be honest, I like the new color choice. I don't think that shade of gray will actually look that dark once it is done. The contrast against the white in the comparison picture makes it look darker than it is. And the new color does match the brick very nicely.

You have a lovely house, by the way! I think the style of your home would be considered "cape".

Old 06-14-2009, 06:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I am looking for paint and found a great tool on the Behr website. You can go on and actually upload a picture of your house and try different colors on!!! I wasn't able to get mine to load (for bathroom) but used sample pictures they offer with various colors. It was a great way to get an idea of what it would look like.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 PM

186 posts, read 794,312 times
The taupe-beige you chose looks very nice and a much better choice than white. It also would complement the black shutters well. Why not paint the front door a 3rd color as a focal point and to give the house a bit more of a "welcoming face"?......maybe a rusty-red or a sage green.....lots of options to choose from. Lovely house and garden!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,530 times
Jillaceae - Thanks for the comments. I've been reluctant to paint any samples on the second level siding, so I painted a large foam board. But alas, today we've had rain so I haven't been able to place it upstairs and take a photo. But nice idea. I hope it clears up soon so I can do this.

Veuvegirl - Thanks alot for the Behr website info. I was able to load my house photos but can not get a Behr color that is close to Sherwin Williams. I'm going to keep trying though. I must have spent 3 hours at that site last night!

Bugnubs - Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'm open to other color schemes (not just the white/black/beige). The house originally had rusty colored shutters and door. There's a house in my area, though very different architectural style, that has olive green, black shutters/door and deeper cream trim (instead of white). I love that look but I don't think it fits my house style.

Thank you all for your comments. Any others? I'm not married to the beige, black, white.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Good luck! The site is addicting... I did the same thing!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I think painting it a white will make the brick, shutters adn roof be the architecture points of the house stand out. Use a duller white than pure white. I painted a house ans used white on the trim, but a dull white. I did not know there were so many whites out there.
White is the abscence of any color, black is the presence of all colors. Paint the siding a white, but not a bright white. Look at shades of white. It will make the white white of the trim and the black shutters stand out. It's a pretty house with nice touches that you do not want to hide with a color.
Just a suggestion.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
I like the color sample you posted. It's a beautiful house!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
The taupe-beige you chose looks very nice and a much better choice than white. It also would complement the black shutters well. Why not paint the front door a 3rd color as a focal point and to give the house a bit more of a "welcoming face"?......maybe a rusty-red or a sage green.....lots of options to choose from. Lovely house and garden!
Agreed. We had a silver gray house before with bark brown roof color. Did the front door in a muted red and got a lot of compliments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House