Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I love the layout, love the exterior, LOVE the location... love the house... just think they went overboard with the pine paneling... you might say "vandalizing," I say I'm "LIBERATING" this house from its relentless knotty pine.

Would you really avoid a house just because the previous owners had different taste in wall covering?

thanks for the advice, everybody.
I would not only walk away, I would regale the showing realtor with colorful and obscene observations on the questionable state of mental health and dubious ancestry of the miscreant who trashed a historical property.

Like a badly modified car, I am too old to have the patience to try to "unscrew" what's been done. Better to walk and find something in better, more original condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
I painted one room with it; came out really nice. The other room I covered it over with sheetrock. That came out even better. In the end it was less expensive and less work. There's wallpaper made to go over surfaces like paneling. At first I wanted to refinish it, but didn't have the time (or energy) for the project.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Could you possibly just take down the knotty pine and number each piece on the back and then paint the plaster, or if there is nto plaster, drywall and paint?
I once looked at a house built in the 1960s. Tons of wood paneling. Not the cheapo sheet stuff but good-looking. If I had bought the house, I would have removed the wood paneling and stored it somewhere and just painted the wall, just like Coldjensens recommended.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
Buying a house that is very cool and charming... older home in a beach community. MOST of the house (every room except for two) is covered in tongue and groove knotty pine. As an accent, it could be charming but in this case, it's pretty relentless and makes the house feel too dark.

I've read a bit about how to paint over it... clean it, seal it with Kilz primer and paint.

Anybody done this and have any special tips or concerns?

thanks!
I would hope that if there is a God he would strike you down dumb, deaf and blind for even *thinking* about painting over knotty pine. It is so charming and quaint.

I'd LOVE to have it in my house - yes *everywhere*. (Actually, I did rent a place once, a zillion years ago that had it in every single room, and I love it and swore that someday I would build a house with it).

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-17-2009, 01:11 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would hope that if there is a God he would strike you down dumb, deaf and blind for even *thinking* about painting over knotty pine. It is so charming and quaint.

I'd LOVE to have it in my house - yes *everywhere*. (Actually, I did rent a place once, a zillion years ago that had it in every single room, and I love it and swore that someday I would build a house with it).

20yrsinBranson
maybe I can remove it carefully and you can make a road trip.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 PM

186 posts, read 794,515 times
I don't think knotty pine qualifies as "antique".....not even real knotty pine. It can be attractive in the right place, but a houseful of the stuff is overbearing and it has a nasty way of turning a dingy orange over time. Pine in homes that were built a couple of centuries ago was normally painted anyway because pine wasn't the most desirable wood. Painted, bleached or lime-waxed pine lends a fresh atmosphere, lightens rooms and provides a good contrast for wood furniture. Besides, if it's your house, do whatever makes you happy.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:36 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,635 times
Indeed, tastes vary, and that's OK

My grandparents have this finely ribbed pine paneling in a couple rooms, and I really like it. It is a deep rusty red and was installed sometime in the mid 50s.

But I have to admit it might be a bit dark throughout the house. I suspect there are folks out there that know exactly what I'm talking about, and hate the stuff But for me it is very nostalgic.

BTW, the definition of "antique" is pretty broad, basically anything from 50-100 years is usually cited. Given that "knotty pine" was pretty popular starting in the 40s, really kicking into popularity in the 50s/60s with the whole "western fad", it might juuuuust make the cut at being a real "antique"

Al

Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
It's just my opinion, but I like artifacts that are "period correct" throughout. I prefer the factory radio, or a period correct aftermarket radio, in a car, even though it won't play CDs, and I know I can get better sound out of something newer. Same way, don't much like a new variable scope on my pre-war Model 70 Winchesters. Even though a modern Leopold is a better sight. Same in a house, if it's well done I really prefer a 1950's house that's 1950's to the bone.

The thing is, most "upgrades" look cobbled, they never turn out as good as you imagine.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times

Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It's just my opinion, but I like artifacts that are "period correct" throughout. I prefer the factory radio, or a period correct aftermarket radio, in a car, even though it won't play CDs, and I know I can get better sound out of something newer. Same way, don't much like a new variable scope on my pre-war Model 70 Winchesters. Even though a modern Leopold is a better sight. Same in a house, if it's well done I really prefer a 1950's house that's 1950's to the bone.

The thing is, most "upgrades" look cobbled, they never turn out as good as you imagine.

Same here, although I sometimes don't mind for "essential" upgrades if they are well hidden or camouflaged so the more modern item doesn't jump out.

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House