Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM

186 posts, read 794,515 times

Advertisements

YAY!!! Good for you that you're going to paint that wretched old knotty pine! Dark, dingy knotty pine rooms are rooms to commit suicide in. I know everyone has their own taste, but sheesh people, it's not rare, beautiful old wide-board, handcrafted early paneling. It's 1930's or 40's PINE T&G. Let it die in peace along with wringer-washers and linoleum square flooring.

Be sure to go over the wood very well with TSP or similar to remove the oils, dirt, and grease build-up before you paint on anything to give it tooth. And dot over the knots especially well with primer. And don't forget to post pics of your fresh beach cottage! I am sooo green with envy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:29 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,755 times
thanks for the support. Yes, plan is to use some TSP, light sand, wipe down, spot prime/seal the knots, then prime the rest. Then paint!!!

Since I'm doing this before the furniture is moved in, I'm considering trying to spray it when I paint. Would that give me a better coat in the grooves? I'm just toying with the idea right now.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,202 times
We have a 1920s dutch colonial, and the entire basement has original knotty pine paneling. I have contemplated taking it down and selling it. It there a market out there?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
"K"

1 posts, read 2,835 times
I just bought a lake house that has a knotty pine dining room, I recently bought some tinted stain with aqua, if it is "bleachable" that might look good. I personally don't want to paint it, it is the thick kind of paneling, and eventho dated, it should be able to have a refresher...?
I'm searching for the bleaching stuff now, I've thought about stripping, but that may be very time consuming. We'll see, since I'm not worried at the moment for resale value, I am the only one who has to like it, I guess it shows my age.
I like that it is different, it just needs to be lighter.
Any other creative ideas out there?????? Need more ideas other than covering it up w paint, there has got to be something else...
"K"

Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K" View Post
I just bought a lake house that has a knotty pine dining room, I recently bought some tinted stain with aqua, if it is "bleachable" that might look good. I personally don't want to paint it, it is the thick kind of paneling, and eventho dated, it should be able to have a refresher...?
I'm searching for the bleaching stuff now, I've thought about stripping, but that may be very time consuming. We'll see, since I'm not worried at the moment for resale value, I am the only one who has to like it, I guess it shows my age.
I like that it is different, it just needs to be lighter.
Any other creative ideas out there?????? Need more ideas other than covering it up w paint, there has got to be something else...
"K"
Have you considered "upholstering" your walls. There are a lot of fabrics available. Cream colored burlap would do up nice. Or you could get fancy and do a stripe etc. Or you can go the starch route. All you need is cotton fabric, liquid starch, a large container, and stuff to cut with. Both methods will keep the paneling original for the next person. Recipe for starch method below.

Starch Method

1. Remove the selvage edge from the fabric by cutting it off with scissors. Cut a length of fabric 2 inches larger than the length of the wall.

2. Place liquid starch in a container. Submerge the fabric panel in the liquid starch until it is thoroughly soaked. The fabric must be 100% cotton to absorb starch.

3. Fold and press the fabric together with your hands to remove excess starch. Do not wring the fabric because it will stretch.

4. Spread the fabric on the wall, pressing and smoothing it with your hands to remove any air bubbles. Cut excess fabric from the ceiling and bottom of the wall using a wallpaper edge cutting tool.

5. Cut out the next fabric panel. Soak in it liquid starch, then fold and squeeze out the excess starch. Place it on the wall next to the first panel, lining up the fabric pattern. Smooth and remove excess fabric from the top and bottom. Continue around the room. Let dry.

6. To remove the fabric from the wall, pull from one corner. Wash the wall to remove excess starch.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,456 times
Default newhope

google coastal living magazine and you will find a 1950's NJ shore house that was all knotty pine. The new owners actually restored the knotty pine and then decorated with both modern and retro furniture with bright blue and lime green as the color. It is very cool and hip along side the original knotty pine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House