U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM

3,315 posts, read 9,721,441 times

Advertisements

I am looking at purchasing a historic house (1785). Should I request for radon testing? I have heard both pros and cons about this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM

30,326 posts, read 75,333,314 times
If it makes you feel more comfortable - have it done. Just be sure that ehy test ourside levels and do not put you through a sales pitch for radon removing equipment.

We had a test done, and they almost convinced us to re them at a pretty hefty price. THen I discovered that the radon levels outside the house were exactly the same.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 48,249,519 times
I believe a radon test is required by law in NJ isn't it? It used to be anyway and I never heard of a silly law that went away. Especially in Jersey. I know because I grew up there.

I also believe that radon is the biggest scam since global warming and Y2K.

And another thing. When I lived there I know for a fact that the when the radar canister is left for the week, the seller will place it outside once the buyer and/or the home inspector are gone. They will place it back inside before the inspector comes to pick it up. If you want a true honest reading you will have to live in the that sellers basement to make sure they dont move the canister.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM

302 posts, read 2,166,008 times
Desert Sun, those are the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM

733 posts, read 4,536,162 times
Old houses, like mine, leak air like a sieve. I can't imagine that a 1785 house will be sufficiently "buttoned up" so as to retain dangerous levels of radon gas.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,191,938 times
Default Not the old switch-a-roo trick...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I believe a radon test is required by law in NJ isn't it? It used to be anyway and I never heard of a silly law that went away. Especially in Jersey. I know because I grew up there.

And another thing. When I lived there I know for a fact that the when the radar canister is left for the week, the seller will place it outside once the buyer and/or the home inspector are gone. They will place it back inside before the inspector comes to pick it up. If you want a true honest reading you will have to live in the that sellers basement to make sure they dont move the canister.
Yeah, about like going down in the reactor compartment and putting your dosimeter up on the demineralizer for an hour so you could get the reading you want for the purpose you want. Now tell me it ain't true!!!!!!!! Sez so right there.

Be careful of that radon industry and what they are selling and how shrill they get. You may not be buying exactly what you think you are getting.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 AM

635 posts, read 2,995,680 times
Default A key point to consider for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
Old houses, like mine, leak air like a sieve. I can't imagine that a 1785 house will be sufficiently "buttoned up" so as to retain dangerous levels of radon gas.
One of the largest issues, real or imagined(depending on one's opinion on Radon), is with newer homes that are more air-tight. In these cases the proponents of Radon gas exposure awareness will point out that due to a more sealed environment the concentrations of Radon will compound the problem.

Unless a ca 1785 house has been extensively retrofitted to be very "tight", it likely breathes enough on its own to vent any serious concentrations of Radon. This is certainly true if one actually opens windows for ventilation

Al

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Desert Sun, those are the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard.
Glad you think so. Read more of my posts and you will find that I have no problem reveling all the little secrets of cheating that goes on in my industry.

Sometimes I feel like going crooked too. I will make more money that way. Just cant bring myself to do so.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
That is actually very true. Good thinkin.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM

302 posts, read 2,166,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Maybe I should say your statements are inaccurate and misinformed.

First of all, the test is not required in NJ; never was.

Secondly, the radon can does not stay in the house for a week.

A monitor type test can be performed to catch the cheaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House