Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Apparently someone felt that our 2500 sqft home was too big, because we have an intercom system, haha We may update it, since it also has units in the garage and the back patio.

I told my husband that if we went much over what we have, we would have to hire a cleaning service - neither of us wants that, so we opted for less square footage to clean.
The house I am buying is 2240 sq ft, will be 1820 sq ft when I convert the game room back into a garage. The previous owners raised 3 children there and there are remnants of an old intercom system in some of the rooms. I think it would take me longer to figure out how the intercom works than it would for me to walk into a room and shout "You kids be quiet!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,941 times
Every family needs a different amount of space.

DH and I just bought our first home. It is about 1600 sq ft, so it would be considered small by some standards. But, since it's just us and a dog, it works for us!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
People who lived in 3000+ sq foot homes in the past often had a family of servants living with them, to clean, cook, and convey messages. It's no wonder that people living in huge homes today can't cope.

Well, wait a moment- an idea... What if every McMansion family took in a poor family- it might solve some of our economic problems.....

Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
People who lived in 3000+ sq foot homes in the past often had a family of servants living with them, to clean, cook, and convey messages. It's no wonder that people living in huge homes today can't cope.

Well, wait a moment- an idea... What if every McMansion family took in a poor family- it might solve some of our economic problems.....
Amen! I have to laugh at these posts... "3600 isn't big" LOL I'd hate to see your utility bills! I grew up in a 1200 square foot house, family of 5, and was quite happy and never knew that I "needed more space". But then again I don't need to supersize my McDonalds meals to feel full.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
What if every McMansion family took in a poor family- it might solve some of our economic problems.....
The McMansion family would never know they were there ...

Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
The main problem living in a large home is that when I am in the master bedroom, I cannot hear when anyone enters the home. The other night, my husband got home from work about midnight and I had no idea that he was in the house. I went downstairs and almost had a heart attack when I saw a body moving in the kitchen. It did not help that the dog did not hear him either.
Do as the poster below said.......... get an alarm system installed and have the feature added that every time a door or window opens or closes it chirps. It is not loud at all but just a single chirp every time and you KNOW when someone has come in or left. It is a permanent feature on ours with kids and all I want to know if someone opens a door or window.

BTW, our master is downstairs. I would NEVER buy a house w/ the master up. The only thing upstairs are 3 bedrooms, game room, media room and 2 bathrooms. Now that the kids are older I don't need to go upstairs much at all. There are days I never even go upstairs. In our area houses w/ the master up do not sell well at all. They usually have to get discounted big time and sit on the market and linger before someone comes in w/ an even lower price and the sellers are desperate and have to take it. Having the master downstairs is just more efficient and functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Our house is 3500 SF and we have an intercom system. Saves a lot of screaming and runing up and down.
Intercom is the way to go. Our house is right at 5000 SF and I would not live in it w/o one. I don't want to be yelled at and I don't want to yell. If the kids can't get me on the intercom they are to come find me and then speak to me. I won't answer if I'm yelled at from across the house (or from one floor to the other).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Our home is over 4000 sq ft on one story, so very spread out. I went to radio shack and bought some intercoms. They are wireless, you just plug them into an outlet.

As far as someone entering the home without you knowing, We have a feature on our alarm system that allows you to turn on a chime. Every time any door to the outside is opened, a chime sounds. We don't leave it on all the time, just when the need arises, but it can be permanent if you wish. You do NOT have to have the alarm armed for this feature to work....
These intercom systems from Radio Shack do work. We have them at our lakehouse and they come in VERY handy and work terrific.

We have our alarm set to chirp every single time a door or window is opened or closed. We also have a pool and kids so I want to know if someone opens a door no matter what and when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Every family needs a different amount of space.

DH and I just bought our first home. It is about 1600 sq ft, so it would be considered small by some standards. But, since it's just us and a dog, it works for us!

Our first house was 1616 SF. I see the young couple that bought it from us (and have since "moved up" as well) and we both say that house LIVED LARGE! The way it was laid out was perfect and helped it live much larger than it really was. The lay out of a home plays a HUGE part in if a house can function properly or not no matter what size it is. I've seen houses over 3000 SF that had HORRIBLE floorplans that were not functional.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
We had a house that would qualify as big (over 7500). It was never a problem for us, we didn't think it was too much of a bother to just walk over to who we wanted to talk to, never wanted a communication device.

We have since downsized twice and still have more than the average sq ft. I can't stand having no space but space for the sake of space bothers me just as much. It's hard to find a well thought out floor plan.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We have this problem Our house is a little under 4000 s.f. plus it has a partially finished basemwnt where we have two bedrooms, a bathroom and a gameroom. We also have a seperate carraige house with a large upstairs room that used to be a hayloft. They also may be hagingin out in the garage part of the cariage house, in the woods, on the porch or down by the river out front.

I can never find my family. Usually some members are readily available, but there is always one or two that I cannot find. Sometimes I cannot find any of them. Sometimes I cannot even find the dog. It is a lonely existience at times. I had a megaphone for a while. It worked ok, but then it disappeared (I have teenagers who do not like megaphones in the hands of their parents). We do sometimes call the older kids on their cell phones to find them. Or we will call the main line and just let it ring until the missing person picks it up. I am looking for a wireless intercom system, but is has to be plug in. We would need to leave it on all the time to work and batteries woudl go dead.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
Burn your McMansions. Nobody really needs 3000+ square feet. Crush the Hummer while you're at it.
Sorry hun - no Hummer here. I have an SUV hybrid. Need a bigger vehicle to get my dogs around town. Some how 4 80 lb dogs just don't fit well in a Prius

Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
My house is 2800-3000sf (not sure which, papers say both) which is by far the biggest place we have or will ever live in, lol. We are a growing family of 7 so it's great, although we also lived happily for many years in 1297sf with one bath. I do like having 2 baths now though! Anyhow, it is a split-level, so it has like 4 levels ('finished' basement, main living floor, 2 beds second floor, 3 beds up top). We do find ourselves shouting alot! I kind of wish there were intercoms, although, since we just got a text plan on our cellphones, we text each other around the house and outside, hahaha! I might be upstairs folding clothes and text kid#2 to please bring up the laundry from the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House