U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM

77 posts, read 447,457 times

Advertisements

So I'm buying a new house that does not come with the garage door opener. I was thinking about installing it myself as Sears wants like $160 to install. Any input as to how hard/easy this would be? That I know, my garage will be prewired (blocked also?) for the opener.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM

7,474 posts, read 21,777,645 times
Once you get into the installation, you will realize $160.00 isn't so bad..!
If you are an extemely handy DIYer, you can probably do it, but large springs are involved, it can be very dangerous.
For an experienced installer, it's a simple job, for someone not so handy, it can be a nightmare...
Go open a box and read the directions and then decide how brave you are...

Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM

8,307 posts, read 37,117,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm6110 View Post
So I'm buying a new house that does not come with the garage door opener. I was thinking about installing it myself as Sears wants like $160 to install. Any input as to how hard/easy this would be? That I know, my garage will be prewired (blocked also?) for the opener.
I'm assuming that you are talking about a garage door with a torsion assembly rather than the simpler and lighter "linear springs" (which I know very little about).

I haven't installed a garage door opener from scratch, but I have replaced torsion springs and that $160 may be money well spent. I'm probably not going to replace springs by myself again. I bought the springs and some tools for the job for about $170 total, the job with labor would have been about $240. The work is actually fairly dangerous. I managed to get through it with zero slip-ups but my wife was a little peeved that I was risking grave injury for $70 and a smattering of pride.

I have no idea how qualified or not you are to perform the labor, but its extremely likely that this will be a real bear of a job for even the most advanced handyman. Just my opinion, but filling out a check for $160 sounds like a pretty good option.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:31 PM

12,083 posts, read 36,766,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm6110 View Post
Just the opener. Not that bad of a job at all really. You don't have to deal with the springs at all on your door.

The instructions are very good in a Sears (Chamberlain Group) opener and just follow along. The instructions will walk you right through the entire process from start to final adjustments. Plan on several hours (first time about 3 or 4 hours) and don't get in a rush and skip steps. Save yourself $160.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 PM

3,020 posts, read 24,897,089 times
Default Yeah, go for it.......

Normally you don't have to mess with springs, they are already installed, need them to just manually open / close the door.

As stated, just follow the instructions exactly. Does help to have two peeps when actually hanging the sucker. Many are fairly heavy for being up on a step ladder yourself.

Just did one for my relatives in FL a few months back, replacement, new one was a Sears, no problems. Went pretty quick. Pull all the info tags off the box, they are gummy, paste them inside the instruction book. That way you have the exact detailed info on exactly what got installed. The instruction books typically cover a number of models, if you need service, parts, etc you will need the detailed info. Also clip the sales receipt, write date of installation in the instruction book. Keep in a safe place. Most problems are covered in the instruction book.

Also note even the pushbuttons may only work with that particular opener, they have a lil circuit board. Be careful putting that in. Read and heed. If you are a total rookie, do a complete read thru of the installation long before attempting it. Understand what must happen. Getting the light beam transmitters installed can be a problem area. They may or may not go in exactly as shown. Many times once you clip it into the track, it can not be removed easily. The fine points are not covered in the instructions very well. With out the safety beam transmitter / receiver working properly the garage door opener will not operate. They also do not give you enough wire clips, helps to have extra staples. Do not cut all the extra wire, loop it up in a roll and clip that off somewhere. You may need it in future for whatever reason.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 AM

228 posts, read 1,134,148 times
Not sure why everyone is talking about springs. There is no reason to mess with the springs.

One very important thing to watch out for is to make sure the door is reinforced enough to support the pulling and pushing of the opener as it raises and lowers the door. Most doors aren't designed to be pulled from the top. On my cheapie Clopay sectional door I bought some angle iron from Home Depot to reinforce the top strut.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,117,258 times
I was talking about springs because I completely misunderstood the question. The question is rather different when read correctly...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM

3,515 posts, read 9,963,988 times
They are, I think, relatively easy to install. You'll need to obtain some angle-iron from a local hardware store; the opener kit doesn't include those. If the distance between your door and the garage ceiling is substantial, you may need to purchase an optional extension kit for the door arm.

They usually install from the door backwards. Once you have the track installed and the trolley assembly done and connected to the motor head, you'll need to rest the motor head on a step ladder, and lag-bolt the angle iron into your ceiling joists, life the motor assembly up, and bolt it to the angle irons.

You'll need to wire the electric eye assemblys and find a good spot near the bottom of the door to mount them. These are the sensors that detect an obstruction and reverse the motor. They have to be mounted level and in a way that the light beam can be seen by the detector. These also need to be wired into the motor assembly. I usually run the wires down across the track assembly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House