Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 PM

502 posts, read 1,385,506 times

Advertisements

Just curious how long it's supposed to take for the copper wiring in electrical outlets to begin to turn black in a home that contains the toxic drywall. I'm renting a new construction home in NC built in 2008, put on market and rented by me in May 09. No rotten egg odor. But a slight smell of some kind when a/c has not been running for a while. Hopefully I have nothing to be concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
I am well aware and well rehersed in junky poison Chinese drywall and other materials but what does that have to do with wiring? I dont understand what your asking.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM

192 posts, read 718,515 times
If it was finished on 2008, you should start to see some blackening on your copper wiring already, especially on the AC coils.

All batches of the junk wall came out with different proportions of sulfur compounds, ect. Some smell rotten eggs, some smell sulfur- like a burnt match or firecrackers. Some smell a sweet vinegar and others a spoiled milk. Others get a metalic taste on their tongue, thats from the mercury vapors. Yes synthetic drywall contains mercury too.

The smell will get worse with higher heat and humidity as that increases the release of the off gassing.

Cut the breakers, pull off outlet covers throughout then pull out the outlets looking for the blackening. If you find the black soot, which is the residue of sulfuric acid burnt metal, get out of their ASAP.

Other signs would be new electronics, computers and appliances with copper components failing, AC coil corrosion leeks, outlets stop working, lights flicker or stop working, switches stop working, smoke alarm randomly going off for no reason, blackening and pitting of bathroom metals, silver and jewelry, and corrosion behind bathroom mirrors.

It seems to start going down hill after the first 6 months or so. The smell is evident right away and gets much worse with time, not better.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeStager View Post
Cut the breakers, pull off outlet covers throughout then pull out the outlets looking for the blackening.
So I need to actually pull out the outlet boxes, and not just look at the ground wires underneath the switchplates/outlet covers?? Not sure if I can do this without damage.. I'm renting here and not the homeowner.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,722,846 times
Not the boxes, just the outlets. Once you take the plate off, the outlets should pull right out of the box. Then you'll be able to see the connection wires on the sides.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,243,152 times
Would there be any way to tell what type (or origin) of drywall is being used while the drywall is going up? My builder might use this drywall on my new house, and I'm just curious.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Not the boxes, just the outlets. Once you take the plate off, the outlets should pull right out of the box. Then you'll be able to see the connection wires on the sides.
Ok, thought so. Am able to see the copper wires to the side and behind the outlet just by holding a flashlight at it, once the plate is off. Thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Would there be any way to tell what type (or origin) of drywall is being used while the drywall is going up? My builder might use this drywall on my new house, and I'm just curious.
I guess if it were me, and you're really concerned, I'd show up without warning on the jobsite and ask him to give you a few pieces that are 4" square to have tested at a lab. If he's got nothing to hide, he probably won't hesitate. If he hesitates, I'd still make him give you some samples. I actually think there are some labs in TX that can test for it. It's not cheap, but worth it if you're building a house and concerned. I forgot the websites but just do an internet search on "toxic drywall lab testing". I did a search once just in case it's in our rental home.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

From everything I am learning, if it's made with synthetic gypsum, I would have samples tested before it goes up. Your builder should be equally concerned not to use any contaminated drywall and may split the cost with you. The $1,500 spent now will save the potential cost later of possibly having everything you own including contaminated and or damaged by corrosion, and becoming worthless.

If it's not to late, ask if you can request real rock gypsum board only, and not the fake stuff made from coal fired power plant toxic wastes.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Ok, thought so. Am able to see the copper wires to the side and behind the outlet just by holding a flashlight at it, once the plate is off. Thanks
The flashlight method might prove decieving as it may be easier to mistake a copper wire gone black, for one with black colored insulation. When you pull it out, it's easier to notice the sooty corroding texture and you are able to run your finger over it to see if the black comes off on your finger-if it's there at all. They should be SHINY.

Because it's newer, I wouldn't think they will be completely black yet. They will look more spotty, like it was hit with the over misting of some black spray paint.

You don't have to check every outlet in the place. I don't know how big it is. Start with one in the kitchen, and then, do one from rooms from the 4 corners of the place. I know some people are leery of pulling the outlet out, even if the breaker switch is off.

If you think "the unusual smell" people describe may be in your place, especialy since you notice it gets worse with the AC off, (can be a very telling sign) try contacting the landlord with your concerns and see if they will pay for a high sulfur drywall inspection by someone trained what to look for.

Everyone with newer construction, built after '03 at least, especially if built in '05 '06 should check anyway.

I hope all goes well and I applaud you for being concerned and wanting to look further to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House