Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 AM

54 posts, read 237,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm leaning towards a double cold feed at that sink. Whomever hooked it up had a brain fart and tapped into the same feed line for both outlets. Barring any obvious problem with the faucet, which is easily checked, a trip under the house to track out the feed lines is in order.
They're in a basment thats obviously finished
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 AM

I would install a circulating pump. You can get one that mounts on your hot line for your water heater and instead of having to run a return line from the furthest fixture, you just have to put a bypass valve (included) under the furthest lavatory. If multiple bypass valves are needed, you can put as many in as you want but they cost extra. Then you would have almost instant hot water everywhere in the house and the world will be a happy place. Grundfros makes about the best one and they run about $250-$300. You just need an outlet near your water heater. Will at least save on the amount of hot water that is wasted

Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post
I would install a circulating pump. You can get one that mounts on your hot line for your water heater and instead of having to run a return line from the furthest fixture, you just have to put a bypass valve (included) under the furthest lavatory. If multiple bypass valves are needed, you can put as many in as you want but they cost extra. Then you would have almost instant hot water everywhere in the house and the world will be a happy place. Grundfros makes about the best one and they run about $250-$300. You just need an outlet near your water heater. Will at least save on the amount of hot water that is wasted
The sink has never had hot water. How is a circ pump going to cure that? If it won't run up at all there's no hot water there to circulate. The aforementioned check with the HW shutoff seems a good way to find out if that sink is even plumbed right since accurate tracking of the pipes is problematic. Jumping right to a circ pump seems premature.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
The sink has never had hot water. How is a circ pump going to cure that? If it won't run up at all there's no hot water there to circulate. The aforementioned check with the HW shutoff seems a good way to find out if that sink is even plumbed right since accurate tracking of the pipes is problematic. Jumping right to a circ pump seems premature.

No where in his original post did I see that there was never hot water. He says this is a new problem. Although, what you say does make sense, what kind of an idiot can make the same mistake twice in one house? 107 years have passed and no one has bothered to correct this problem? That may be the case. Premature, I agree about that. That was my brainfart for the week. If it were me though, something like that would make me want to fix it.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post
No where in his original post did I see that there was never hot water. He says this is a new problem. Although, what you say does make sense, what kind of an idiot can make the same mistake twice in one house? 107 years have passed and no one has bothered to correct this problem? That may be the case. Premature, I agree about that. That was my brainfart for the week. If it were me though, something like that would make me want to fix it.
Ah I misread somewhere. He said in a later post that he got HW there after six minutes. My bad. So, if theres HW there the crossed feed is obviously not the issue. That being the case, choked feed is a possibility. From what he says the lines could be routed anywhere so length of the run could be an issue regardles of actual proximity to the WH. A lot could have happened in a century and change. Who knows how many flipdicks have scabbed into those lines. This sounds like one I would want to see firsthand before making a solid call.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,742,845 times
Default Calcium plate out....................

It could be a calcium plate out. Many water systems add a calcium additive to protect their own pipes linings. My water utility does.

If he has copper pipes, this additive can plate out over time. I've seen it before in other places. For some strange reason it always occurs near the actual use point. Lots of folks get it in the shower head.

In the present house I had it in the upstairs bath in the nipple before the shutout valves at the bathtub or in the case of the sink I found it in the elbow just before the shutoff on the hot water side. Would have been enough to drive a fellow to drink, could have looked forever. Very restricted flow.

That is why I sezs it was probably near the sink at first. Also disassemble the faucets, then work your way back thru the shutoff valves under the sink, maybe to include taking out the shutoff valve and try poking back that line with a piece of wire or disassemble as much of the tubing as possible. You can try to judge by apparent pressure at the faucet but it can be deceptive. You think the flow rate is not too bad.

Once you know the secret, the solution is a lot easier. All my neighbors seem to have the same problem, solutions are always right close to the use point. Old plumbing is so much fun. Maybe in extreme cases could attempt to acid clean the lines if not totally accessible.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Ah I misread somewhere. He said in a later post that he got HW there after six minutes. My bad. So, if theres HW there the crossed feed is obviously not the issue. That being the case, choked feed is a possibility. From what he says the lines could be routed anywhere so length of the run could be an issue regardles of actual proximity to the WH. A lot could have happened in a century and change. Who knows how many flipdicks have scabbed into those lines. This sounds like one I would want to see firsthand before making a solid call.

true
thats head scratcher

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Second potential problem is the hot water line is plugged to that sink somewhere. Possible but not that probable.

Most likely cause is in the faucet at those sinks themselves. I would first check the flex or copper tubing under the sink and make sure it is not kinked or pinched.
I have a similar problem as described by the original poster. [Asking for both of us] what happens if I still get high flow rate when only the hot water is ON? If it were a kink, wouldn't the flow rate be low?

OK, our problem. The hot water is extremely hot in the laundry room which is very close to the hot water heater. I don't know the pipe routing but the next closest things are the washing machine, then the kitchen sink then a bathroom, then my guess is the water is routed through the house. Only the laundry room is really hot. Everything else is only warm. And this problem sort of comes and goes. Sometimes the far away tubs are really hot but the past day or two everything except the laundry room sink is warm. We disconnected the circ system. Oh, one other thing, this problem seems (could be coincidence or or imagination) to reoccur after lightening storms like we had the past day or so. This is bizarre as hell.

The only thing I can think of is somewhere downstream from the laundry sink there is some mixing going on. Dishwasher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
I had problem very much like this before. It turned out to be the shower valve was bad and letting the hot and cold mix at the shower. we could not get any hot water at sink, only luke warm. If you turned on the sink hot water, you could here it running at the shower valve. We changed the cartridge in shower and everythings fine now.
I'll have to check this out. Maybe the shower handle (at the far end of the house) is acting like a mixer????

Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have a similar problem as described by the original poster. [Asking for both of us] what happens if I still get high flow rate when only the hot water is ON? If it were a kink, wouldn't the flow rate be low?

OK, our problem. The hot water is extremely hot in the laundry room which is very close to the hot water heater. I don't know the pipe routing but the next closest things are the washing machine, then the kitchen sink then a bathroom, then my guess is the water is routed through the house. Only the laundry room is really hot. Everything else is only warm. And this problem sort of comes and goes. Sometimes the far away tubs are really hot but the past day or two everything except the laundry room sink is warm. We disconnected the circ system. Oh, one other thing, this problem seems (could be coincidence or or imagination) to reoccur after lightening storms like we had the past day or so. This is bizarre as hell.

The only thing I can think of is somewhere downstream from the laundry sink there is some mixing going on. Dishwasher?

I'll have to check this out. Maybe the shower handle (at the far end of the house) is acting like a mixer????
Update. I turned OFF the water supply to the hot water heater to see if there is mixing. (I didn't see any anti-scald valves near or around the hot water heater either.) With the hot water supply cut off, I opened some hot water faucets to see if any water came out. If there was mixing, then cold water would come out (right?). OK, no cold water came out. With the hot water still cut off at the hot water heater, cold water came out freely, when I turned on the cold water only - that is what I would expect.

But here's the bizarre thing, any maybe this will give you a clue. When I turned the shower to full hot, nothing came out - OK. BUT, when I turned the shower to full cold, only a little water trickled out. Cold water did not flow unconstrained like it did from the sinks and tubs. Why is that? When I opened the water supply back at the hot water heater, cold water flowed freely and unconstrained from the shower when the shower was at full cold. The shower is a Delta, one handle thing, looks exactly like this:

So, why is cold water restricted from only the shower head when the water supply to the hot water heater cut off? The cold water only flow rate is affected by the water supply to the hot water heater. Is this normal? Is there a problem? This seems so weird.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 33,517 times
i also have a delta faucet like in the pic above i only get hot water for 45 seconds then it gets luke warm i have taken the anti - scald device completely out and have the same problem the piping is worsbow plastic pipe the house is only 6 years old i just purchased it a couple of months ago all other hot water outlets in the house are fine and have plenty of hot water Help!!!! the wife isnt very happy with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House