Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

I am still trying to get some electricians to give me some bids. I found out a co-worker of mine used to be a contractor and last worked as a contractor during the last recession and has a lot of experience with gas hot water heaters. He has offered to help me install the hot water heater and has done his own recently. So I am going to take him up on that. We went to my house and he had a look at what needed to be done and he instantly pointed out the same deficiencies with the hot water heater that my inspector did. He caught every code violation that was in the inspection report, so I think he really does know what he is talking about as opposed to the enthusiastic DIY-er who thinks they can do anything then throws their hands up halfway through the job and says "call a plumber."

You guys lost me with the electrical discussion way back there! Someone said something about aluminum...my house does not have aluminum wiring, it has copper wiring.

I asked my friend for a detailed estimate of the whopping price for the service panel and so far he has not provided one. If all that expense is really necessary then that is fine, but that is a lot of money and I am not going to just take anyone's word for it. Otherwise how do I know he didn't stick a wet finger in the air and thought "Yeah, $2k sounds about right."

One problem I am having with electricians is getting them to give me an estimate for free. (Am I expecting too much here?) Most of them seem to want $40-$70 just to drive over to my house. It makes even getting bids on the job kind of expensive. I am also having a bit of trouble getting them to return my phone calls. I have one coming over this morning, hopefully, and I will keep plugging away at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thank you Emmanuel! Unfortunately my house is in Richardson, not Dallas. I think Richardson requires permits for swapping an electrical service panel but not for more minor work like swapping outlets and light switches. I am not aware of any permit requirements for swapping hot water heaters.
I think its almost a foregone conclusion that an incorporated area will require a permit for any work that breaks a seal on a NG line.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
BigDGeek,

Being charged for estimates by Electricians is not an uncommon thing. Many will do the estimate for free in hopes of getting the work.

Here is a good site for municipal codes in one place, Municipal Code Corporation. The city listings for Texas are at Municode.com |Online Library. Many larger cities have their muniple codes online with this provider and you can view them for free.

In this case the City of Richardson WEB site has an online permit process which is located at Permit Choice (http://discovery.cor.gov/permits/index.jsp - broken link). It appears that Richardson does require a permit for a water heater replacement. You can verify this with the building department and their contacts are at Richardson TX: Building Inspection (http://www.cor.net/buildinginspection.aspx?id=554 - broken link).

I also apologize for the thread drift about the aluminum wiring. That was referring to the service entrance conductors from your streetside transformer to the electric meter, not inside the home. Aluminum cabling is still used at this point and there is nothing wrong with that. I used to install service entrances and unless requested, and paid for, we installed aluminum exclusively.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
OK, after receiving a couple of bids in person and a couple more over the phone I have decided to go with the original guy. The bids I received were all at least twice what he quoted me!!!!!!!!!

I discussed with the original guy exactly what was going to be done and he is going to do everything that they were going to do too. He is also throwing in 8 cat5e drops for free. I think I was probably mistaken and it was a good deal to begin with.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"I think I was probably mistaken and it was a good deal to begin with."

I figured as much. When someone like this starts complaining about the price of supplies, there is a good chance they underestimated those costs themselves, and are merely trying to not have the job end up costing THEM money. That is why I suggested the breakout of costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House