Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,620 times

Advertisements

Firstly I want to thank everybody who has been helping me. We are looking for a house in Houston area but most of them just don't have everything we want. All need some remodeling but I have no exp at all. Mostly i just need to know it's a $1000 job or $5000 so that i can factor into my price. I definitely cannot do any of these myself; i have to hire a contractor to do this.

How much would it cost to convert the kitchen ventilation from Picture 1 to Picture 2 style?

Note, in the Picture 1, behind the cabinet/stove, there is the bedroom and there's no pipe going up through the two small cabinets above the current ventilation. Some genesis thought it's a good idea to filter&recirculate instead of vent to the outside.

The only possible way seems to be going up through the roof, but then there's the second floor. I am guessing that there must be ducts between the first and the second floor to host AC/heating systems. can the vent duct follow the same path somehow? How complicated is that?

Picture 2 is easy because it goes through exterior wall.

Picture 1
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/TheStupid_2006/DSC_0083.jpg (broken link)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/TheStupid_2006/DSC_0085.jpg (broken link)

Picture 2
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/TheStupid_2006/DSC_0098.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by TheStupid; 07-10-2009 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Stupid.....why would anyone want to be called stupid? Anyone can call me anything on earth but being called stupid gets the pulp beat out of the caller.

Anyway Stupid.....I answered you in the Houston Forum. My answer is the same. I only installed I'm guessing 4000 or so of them over 3 decades. My advice and cost estimate was deadly accurate the first time. There are no other variables.

Buy the house already and I will install it for free for you !!! Sheesh. I would rather see a micro there rather then the hood anyway. And the brain dead person who put see through glass with an ugly gavanized vent pipe behind it should be shot dead. Now that is stupid.......no pun intended.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Anyway Stupid.....I answered you in the Houston Forum. My answer is the same. I only installed I'm guessing 4000 or so of them over 3 decades. My advice and cost estimate was deadly accurate the first time. There are no other variables.
desert, this one is different from the one I posted in the Houston Forum. The see through glass is stupid, actually, but the hood is what i want.

how much would this one cost in your opinion?

Old 07-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
desert, this one is different from the one I posted in the Houston Forum. The see through glass is stupid, actually, but the hood is what i want.

how much would this one cost in your opinion?
Now I'm thinking you want to lose the cabinet over the range then install a stainless hood which looks to be 30". Those stainless hoods with matching stainless chimney to the ceiling cost from $450 junky to about $2500 ultimate top of the line. Count on $800 for a nice decent AMERICAN made one. DO NOT BUY CHINESE CRAP !!!!

When you remove that cabinet you will have 2 holes on the cabinet stiles. Puttying them up is the easy part as well as pointing up the holes in the wall that held the cabinet. What about the wall? Are you going to match that existing tile already on the back splash to extend them all the way up? What about matching that fugly wall paper?

If you buy that hood vent with matching chimney from a good appliance company they will install it from $75 to sometimes free. I might stay away from Conns since they are in a whole lot of trouble for cheating people.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 PM

I still think you missed the point. Look at the Picture 1, which is very different from Picture 2, where a hole can be punched through the exterior wall and an exhaust duct can be installed.

In Picture 2, you cannot do that. The only viable way (I think) for the exhaust duck to go is through the cabinets, the second floor, then up somewhere. How much would that cost?

I do know the cost of a good ventilation system but the installation/remodeling is what i don't know.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I still think you missed the point. Look at the Picture 1, which is very different from Picture 2, where a hole can be punched through the exterior wall and an exhaust duct can be installed.

In Picture 2, you cannot do that. The only viable way (I think) for the exhaust duck to go is through the cabinets, the second floor, then up somewhere. How much would that cost?

I do know the cost of a good ventilation system but the installation/remodeling is what i don't know.
I may still not understand you. Pic one with the cheap hood vent, either it has no vent and just recirculates, or it goes up through the bottom of the cabinet and makes a 90 degree turn through the exterior wall and to the outside.

Pic 2 it's obvious the vent goes up though the floor and ceiling of the cabinet and up through the soffit and who knows where from there. If it's the gable end of the house then it can turn 90 degrees and out the exterior wall anywhere above the 8' ceiling. If it's not a gable end then it just goes above the joists somewhere to a usually to a vent stack in the roof. Sometimes people just end that vent in front of a gable vent to save money.

Whatever the combo, it is not expensive to do. I can't put a number on it.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 PM

I just reread your other post. Sounds like you have a second floor. In this case if there is no soffit and the vent goes up to the ceiling, then the vent must be turned inside the ceiling joist cavity then to the outside. It's a tight turn but is done all the time. If your ceiling joists are only 2X6s then you can use a flex vent and turn it in any tight circumstance.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just reread your other post. Sounds like you have a second floor. In this case if there is no soffit and the vent goes up to the ceiling, then the vent must be turned inside the ceiling joist cavity then to the outside. It's a tight turn but is done all the time. If your ceiling joists are only 2X6s then you can use a flex vent and turn it in any tight circumstance.
that's what I thought too, but in your opinion, how much roughly would cost me? $1000 or $5000 just doing that?

Of course I have to add another $1000 for the ventilation equipment.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
All that is involved is runing the vent trhu the upper casbinets to thru the attic to a roof vent designed for the purpose. I would think it wouldn't cost much as I and a friend did this for two friends and it only took about three hours. The longest part was replacing the shingles on the roof for a good seal.Other than going thru the ceiling and thru the roof its not much of a job really.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
that's what I thought too, but in your opinion, how much roughly would cost me? $1000 or $5000 just doing that?

Of course I have to add another $1000 for the ventilation equipment.
Geez you drive a hard answer. If I still wore my tool belt I might charge $200 for that easy job with customer supplied appliance and contractor supplied needed materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House