Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:29 AM

3 posts, read 10,109 times

Advertisements

I was set to convert to Verizon and the installer told me I had to get an outside grounding pole since I do not have an outside electrical box. Can someone tell me who to contact and about how much this costs, and if it is worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:54 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
If it is what I am thinking of, it's just a 6' long copper rod that you can buy at Home-Depot, or Lowes.

The price varies with copper going up, and down. I think I paid around 20 bucks a few years back.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 10,109 times
Dear South Range Family - did you install it yourself? The installer told me that it should be 8 -16 ft. long.

THANKS!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:18 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
OK, first you want to find out if the electrical service has a proper grounding rod. It should, either with a wire coming off the mains panel leading to it, or possibly from the meter box.

If you have one, Verizon should tie into that, and NOT install a separate ground. If you DON'T have one, you really should have one for the electric rather than rely on a tap to a water line or such.

Unless you have stony soil, driving a ground rod is a matter of finding the right spot, standing on a stepladder and using a sledge to drive it in. 8' to 10' is a common length, so the driving can take some time.

Multiple ground rods that are not bonded (electrically tied together via thick copper wire) are an invitation to disaster. EVERY electrical system in a place should have a COMMON ground. That means telephone, cable, satellite, power, and any other system including the ground for a tv or radio antenna.

NO WAY would I allow an installer to demand an independent ground.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:48 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
harry is correct.

Do not install a separate grounding electrode for the phone lines; doing so sets the phones at a potential different from the house service.

without getting too technical, i'll just say its a very bad idea.

you say there is no 'electrical box' on the exterior of your home; where is your electric meter located?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
Do you not have phone service at all? Or is this for a FIOS install? I don't know if it makes a big difference, but I do knot that for our FIOS install, they placed the box near the electric meter and tied into the ground. Do you really not have a meter outside your house? Also, like the others said, if you don't have a ground for the house (grounded to pipes), I'd call an electrician and have a new ground put in and have him ground the panel. Easy fix.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:32 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia4joy View Post
Dear South Range Family - did you install it yourself? The installer told me that it should be 8 -16 ft. long.

THANKS!
My rod is for a concession trailer. It gets pounded into the ground at every event. It's temporary, and in my case is more for show than it is for go.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
My rod is for a concession trailer. It gets pounded into the ground at every event. It's temporary, and in my case is more for show than it is for go.
If you're able to pull the rod out of the ground after each use, you're wasting your time, as the rod is completely ineffective in loose conditions.

you should not be able to pull it out of the ground without some type of mechanical assistance.

but why are you driving a ground rod at a concession trailer?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia4joy View Post
I was set to convert to Verizon and the installer told me I had to get an outside grounding pole since I do not have an outside electrical box. Can someone tell me who to contact and about how much this costs, and if it is worth it?
Good advice from Harry and Southgeorgia. This may be something like the guy at Jiffylube making recommendations that a certified mechanic would reject out of hand.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"If you're able to pull the rod out of the ground after each use, you're wasting your time, as the rod is completely ineffective in loose conditions. "

True, especially if it is a short one. For the limited amount of time in such a setup, mixing a little fertilizer and water and drenching the area around the rod could help (although it wouldn't be a sure thing).

"you should not be able to pull it out of the ground without some type of mechanical assistance."

AMEN! Even then, it should be hard to remove.

"but why are you driving a ground rod at a concession trailer?"

Likely some requirement of the site. A lot of RV parks and such sites are horrible disasters in wiring, and no one knows for sure if a trailer is wired incorrectly. Safer to have dozens of grounds than have a few mis-wired trailers make trouble (and danger) for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House