Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM

18 posts, read 45,214 times

Advertisements

We are selling our house, and the buyers are having a radon test done. I didn't know much about radon tests, so I looked it up on the Internet. The part that I have questions about is how the actual test is done. Everything I have read so far said to place the test 20 or more inches off the floor, and at least 2 feet away from exterior walls. Guess where the test is located in my house? Yep, on the floor, about a foot away from the wall. Also, the test vials look to be capped? Anyone know anything about this?

How would the results be affected if the test box is sitting on the floor so close to an exterior wall? That is assuming that the test is actually in progress. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,801,134 times
It will not really matter to the results if placed on the floor. I have done thousands of radon tests with continuous monitors in every type of variance you can imagine. What part of the triangle are you in?
I am not sure about caps on the vials as we use monitoring equipment and never had experience with the send-off style tests.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:23 AM

820 posts, read 2,781,009 times
The only test we have had done were with monitoring equipment and not vials for lab testing. Either way, don't worry about the means of testing unless it comes back high and you HAVE to worry about it. I understand where you are coming from but don't worry about how the radon levels were measured unless the radon levels were a problem.

All that said, I doubt any court or company would say that it mattered that the equipment was stationed on the floor.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:09 AM

169 posts, read 1,486,634 times
go through www.ncradon.org

it will give you all the information you need to know.

we recently bough a home and radon test showed very high radon reading. the seller paid almost $2000 to install a fan in the crawl space which brought the levels below the permissible exposure limits.

since you are selling a home, you will have to fix it if the level is high. check your contract with the buyer and see what it says. most of time sellers fix this problem otherwise buyer just walks away. i am not trying to scare you but you can keep this possible expense in mind.

as far as location of test is concerned, the radon guy will place it but you have to make sure that it is not disturbed.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:26 AM

513 posts, read 1,600,179 times
north raleigh off capital is bad with radon levels...mainly just north of 540

Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,547,629 times
I think a continuous monitoring device is the best. The inspector can tell if it hs been tampered with or not, or if windows were left open etc.... Not al inspectors use this because it is very expensive. The inspector I use does use this device. Here is a picture of one for you.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 PM

20 posts, read 52,112 times
I paid $150 for my house. Was told that health dept have a kit for $9.95 for DIY.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:42 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,955,250 times
Default Fyi !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
It will not really matter to the results if placed on the floor. I have done thousands of radon tests with continuous monitors in every type of variance you can imagine. What part of the triangle are you in?
I am not sure about caps on the vials as we use monitoring equipment and never had experience with the send-off style tests.
Radon gas is heavier than air and has a higher concentration at floor level......thats why they recommend testing be done at least 20" off the floor !!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,801,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Radon gas is heavier than air and has a higher concentration at floor level......thats why they recommend testing be done at least 20" off the floor !!!!
That is the official recommendation, but it really does not have any effect on the end result (mainly due to the air not being stagnant in a house). I have tested my house over the years in the crawlspace, on my granite counters, at floor level, on a stool, and up high on shelf.... readings all within a tenth.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,955,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
That is the official recommendation, but it really does not have any effect on the end result (mainly due to the air not being stagnant in a house). I have tested my house over the years in the crawlspace, on my granite counters, at floor level, on a stool, and up high on shelf.... readings all within a tenth.
Then I would tell you that you need a refresher course in radon testing.......placing test equipment on the floor would be considered an invalid test, at least in New Jersey.........call it recommendation or protocol.......if the protocol isn't followed its invalid. Finally, I will state again.......radon gas is heavier than air thats why the highest readings are in the basement and test euipment should be placed in whats known as the "breathing zone". Equipment on the floor is clearly not in the breathing zone unless you spend a lot of time unconscious and laying on the floor. Whats the use of having an EPA testing "recommendation" or protocol if your going to ignor those recommendations make up your own testing proceedures as you go along ??? No wonder many agents and home owners are skeptical of the radon industry if you can't follow the set rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House