Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,050 times

Advertisements

As much as *I* don't like solicitors, I am "cookie mom" for 3 Girl Scout Troops.

I'd feel like a hypocrite for having a "no solicitor" sign!

I push a lotta little cookie pushers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
My "No Soliciting" sign is 8" wide and is right over the doorbell. Still everyone, almost, thinks they are the exception. I'm thinking of putting this up:

READ THIS BEFORE RINGING THE DOORBELL!

NO SOLICITING...

If you are here for our:

MONEY- for anything
SIGNATURE
OPINION
DONATION
VOTE
or SOUL

DO NOT RING THE DOORBELL!

IF WE DO NOT KNOW YOU OR ARE NOT EXPECTING YOU - DO NOT RING THE DOORBELL!!!!

(Unless you are under 12 years old and selling Girl Scout Cookies!)

Think that'll work??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
As much as *I* don't like solicitors, I am "cookie mom" for 3 Girl Scout Troops.

I'd feel like a hypocrite for having a "no solicitor" sign!

I push a lotta little cookie pushers!
I'd buy a sign that says "No solicitors except Girl Scouts" but I have never seen one.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
Have you found that people ignore this sign on your house or posted at your subdivision? Arrgh!!

Today I had a kid who said "but I'm not soliciting"....and then proceeded to start telling me about his product. Last week I had a guy who rang the bell and when I answered he immediately said "I'm sorry, I saw your sign after I rang the bell, but I didn't want to doorbell ditch you". (I've got to admit -- this one was at least clever since I never heard it before. Still a bunch of hooey, but clever.) I've also had the religious solicitors try to argue with me that they are exempt....but they sure do back down and clear out of the community if you call the police.

So....members who are in the business: Do you teach your unsuspecting kids looking for a summer job what to say for each circumstance just so they can still make the approach? What other ones should we be on the lookout for?

Members in legal or law enforcement: What are our options, especially for posted "no soliciting" on individual houses? I know for the posted signs on community entrances you can call the police and by the time they arrive, the offending salespeople might still be in the neighborhood pestering someone else, so can be "counseled" on the spot. But for individual houses, what do we need in order to report them?

Funny I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago. I have an "Absoultely No Soliciting" sign on the sidelight window of my front door. The bell is next to it. If you are not really looking and ring the bell, then you see the sign. These two men stood there with aplogetic faces and said we saw it after we rang and did not want to run away. I just laughed and ok but no thanks. Security system....The signs at the entrance really do no good. What bothers me the most are the business cards and things that loop on the red flag+++++the plastic baggie with a rock and an advertisement. You know in these tough economic times we have to (or should) ease up a bit....some of these people are tying to earn a living. I complain, but deep down I know the cleaning lady and the Avon Lady and the roof repair guy are just trying to keep food on the table.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM

20 posts, read 100,201 times
I got my various things (key chains, coins, bible, cell phone) stolen when one of the "environmentalist" was asking money to "clean up the coal pollution".
He talked to me for 15 mins, and I still won't give him any money.
Then he started poke around my house that night, I should have called the police right there.
Didn't lock my car either (my fault there ).
Next morning, a "cleaned" car.

I usually don't mind talking to solicitors, but after this experience, I'm putting up a sign, and will call the cops if they don't leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House