Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,822 times

Advertisements

Hello, hope I'm not too late for you--just saw your question. I googled "how to straighten a garage" and found hammerzone.com, the first entry on the first page, to be very helpful. It's illustrated, too. I theorized and discussed the problem with several carpenters and truckers (guys experienced with come alongs), and almost came up with hammerzone's solution. But theirs seems best. I am about to use that method on my garage, but first am rebuilding the base around the wall plates, which are rotten. You have to have well braced corners to winch the garage. Even the straight end of yours should be reinforced, because that end takes a lot of force from the winch or come along. The winch should also be substantial.
Oh, the cost...and who. I had the same problem, finding somebody willing to do it. And so am doing it myself. But if you know how, you could supervise a carpenter (if he's willing to take directions!). As for cost--$50 an hour is going rate around here, and it's about a one-day job if your garage does not have interior siding to get in the way. It's easier if all you have is studs on the interior, because then you can do your bracing without interference. Materials if you do it yourself would include two winches at about $45 each--the model I found has one end of 12 feet cable, and the other 6 feet, so you would need to get a chain to add length. (I priced a 4-ton winch in amazon.com.) You'll need 2 x 4s or 2 x 6s to reinforce the corners. Maybe a couple of 2 x 8s to reinforce the outside of each corner where you connect the business end of the winches--and the opposite corner. Then there are the eye-bolts, bolts, screws and brackets, as well as the tee bar, all recommended by hammerzone.com. I will be using plyboard for bracing instead of tee-bar. Best of luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by themils View Post
Hi all,

My detached 2 car garage is leaning about 2" toward the back because the exterior just has siding and the interior has no covering at all. I want to get somebody to straighten the garage out before I put up plywood sheathing, but I've only found one company in my area that specifically lists this kind of work. Who else should I contact to get estimates and what do you think this sort of job would cost on average?

I'm hoping it will be fairly inexpensive as the studs are fully accessible on the interior of the garage and the lean isn't that bad, but what do I know

Thanks.

Last edited by marksmith0200; 06-26-2010 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: I left out the cost and who could fix it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,665 times
I need someone that works in the detroit, michigan 48214 area to straighten a two car leaning garage.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
Default Strighten leaning garage

Thanks marksmith,
Need someone to do it for me. Had already came across hammerzone. This is for my daughter which I'm payoing for and wanted an estimate since I'm retired on fixed income. Wanted a price so I could negatiate cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House