Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 AM

186 posts, read 848,789 times

Advertisements

My realtor has proven to be a complete drain of my money and time, and has cost me thousands in poor advice. I should have taken the advice of many here in the past few months and fired them at the time.

At this point they have even admitted that we know more about the market we're buying in. I am under contract and they are dragging their legs bigtime, failing to get back to me in a timely manner, and potentially seriously hurting this deal.

Why aren't people allowed to just represent themselves? I'm ready to fire them and just call up the listing agent myself and negotiate, this has gotten to be ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
You can. People do it all the time.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM

45,372 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You can. People do it all the time.

Buyer's agents are a relatively new phenomenon. When we bought in the 80's the only agent involved directly was the listing agent. She carried the offer/counter/final back and forth, set up the inspection, etc.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:55 PM

212 posts, read 699,740 times
I bought 2 houses so far with realtors involved.I won't do it a 3rd time.I wiil use the internet,contact the sellers agent,look over the prop. and make my offer.It's the law that your offer has to be submitted to the sellers.You must receive a counteroffer.Soon people will realize in 2009 that re agents are redundant,and a hindrance of a free market.If you are a buyer,remember everything the agent says will be a lie.If your a seller maybe only half the time.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
I represented myself when I bought my house. I certainly made sure I educated myself to begin with though, you could really trip up bad if you don't know what you are doing. BTW, I did run everything by a pro (relative) before finalizing it.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Yep,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
I bought 2 houses so far with realtors involved.I won't do it a 3rd time.I wiil use the internet,contact the sellers agent,look over the prop. and make my offer.It's the law that your offer has to be submitted to the sellers.You must receive a counteroffer.Soon people will realize in 2009 that re agents are redundant,and a hindrance of a free market.If you are a buyer,remember everything the agent says will be a lie.If your a seller maybe only half the time.
So true, only it all probably is a lie all the time from all of them.

In this part of Ohio you are a bit of a fool if you are paying them, sure as Hell not full price. You can buy and sell here about not much more complicated than buying a car. Many sales are for cash. You ain't got any money, don't come talking. Some land contract deals just between the parties. Local lawyer will make it all legal, do all the paper for a few hundred. Buyer beware.

Inspection what is that, you better be able to figure it out youself. Lots of stuff sold as is.

This one local guy, every time you ask a question, always get the same answer. "I don't know". Even that may be a lie.

Same olde game in the end, the buyer has all the risk, the parasites just get paid, will say, do whatever it takes to get it.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
My realtor has proven to be a complete drain of my money and time, and has cost me thousands in poor advice. I should have taken the advice of many here in the past few months and fired them at the time.

At this point they have even admitted that we know more about the market we're buying in. I am under contract and they are dragging their legs bigtime, failing to get back to me in a timely manner, and potentially seriously hurting this deal.

Why aren't people allowed to just represent themselves? I'm ready to fire them and just call up the listing agent myself and negotiate, this has gotten to be ridiculous.
Is this a buyer's agent? If not they were never "your" realtor in the first place.

Either way - suggest you fire them using the Donald Trump model.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Why can't you represent yourself in a realestate negotiation?
Because people within that profession and others have made it very hazardous or hard to do it yourself. Lawyers, accountants and many other professions have created a needlessly overly complicated environment so you do need them. If we applied the same concept to digging a hole in the ground you wouldn't have a shovel but instead some Rube Golberg machine that only a rocket scientist could operate.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I've done it many times over the last 25 years... both as buyer and seller and private party where no one had a broker or agent.

That said, I find a good agent is well worth the commission.

I would have never known about many of the properties I bought if it wasn't for the agent giving me a call to let me know a particular property was coming on the market... one time an agent kept me from making a bad move because she knew about the redevelopment plans the city had for the area that I had failed to consider... it was a probate... so basically as-is where is.

I've also done quite a few dual agency transactions where there is only the listing agent/broker involved.

I would think being a seller would be harder with all the disclosure stuff that my State requires... being a buyer is much easier... no one to blame if you miss something...

What I like to do is write up my own offer for the agent to present... this way I know exactly what it says word for word... I also buy mostly distressed or as-is property... although I guess there are a lot of those today

One of the best reasons I like not being a Broker/Agent is that I can deal direct... there is nothing to prevent me from knocking on a door and talking to the owner or tenants... it can greatly simplify the transaction when both sides understand each other...

Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
There is absolutely no stipulation in a real estate transaction that an offerer must receive a counteroffer. Ridiculous contention.
Heck, the offer doesn't even have to be acknowledged by the Seller.
At least not in NC.

I don't believe in shoving agency pablum into unrepresented principals' faces, like so many agents do. It is personal business of any adult how they proceed in their business endeavors, I think.
However, while any principal can proceed unrepresented in a transaction, misleading information is rife on the internet about how simple a real estate transaction is, or how one can proceed.

"...everything the agent says will be a lie..."

To the OP: Take care in the advice you accept. Many anonymous people will pump you up with drivel that eclipses the drivel from poor agents. And after they gratuitously hurt you, will have no accountability.
Many people offer free advice that can be very, very expensive. This thread is full of potentially very expensive advice. One of the values of the internet. You often get less than you pay for, even when it is free.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House