Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 AM

177 posts, read 847,366 times

Advertisements

The house I'm renting has carpenter bees. 'Landlord said his exterminator said you can't get rid of them (???) - but I know that's not true. Can anyone recommend an exterminator that is accustomed to dealing with such pests?

Oh, and just to tell you how bad it is: There have been three new "nesting holes" bored in as many days.

BTW - I'm in Raleigh, NC.

eileen

Last edited by ejmatl; 04-22-2007 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Forum host moved - need to note location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 10:13 AM

341 posts, read 1,486,730 times
Been there done that. First of all they're sooooo not aggressive. Secondly yes they can be removed. If it's just one scouting CBee some wasp repel or bug spray in the area he's working will do the trick. If it's a larger nest any exterminator can remedy the problem. Fence boards can be pretreated to help prevent them. Keep wood piles away from houses & from against walls. Make sure eaves are sealed. Call Orkin or Black Diamond or whoever. Your landlord is wrong. We even have used wasp spray & gotten rid of them ourselves. Sounds like he's dodging a $bill$. It's not expensive! And to be honest I like the carpenter bees. The yellow ones are new ones or queens. They're not crabby like wasps & buzz..look at you & leave lol.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:27 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
I have them in the top rail of my deck in Georgia -- and inside my mailbox post. The deck is about four years old; the mailbox post is older. This is the second year of carpenter bee infestations for me.

Both deck and post are made from pressure treated wood. I didn't think carpenter bees would bother treated wood, but either I got cheated on the lumber or these are some kind of super mutant bees.

I don't want to paint the deck. How do I prevent more carpenter bees from chewing holes in my deck again next spring if I do manage to get rid of these this year?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:53 AM

56 posts, read 414,304 times
Quote:
I don't want to paint the deck.
I don't think paint will stop them. I painted my porch this winter and it did'nt stop them from boring more holes. I personally like them and they have been having a nest in my porch for the past five years. I've never tried to get rid of them,there not pesky like yellow jackets or wasp. You can even hold you finger out and slowly move it around and they will follow it,pretty cool IMO. As long as you don't swat at them they would'nt have any reason to try to attack you.

Brian Craig

Old 04-22-2007, 11:55 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Posted by Figment 07
"I have them in the top rail of my deck in Georgia -- and inside my mailbox post. The deck is about four years old; the mailbox post is older. This is the second year of carpenter bee infestations for me.

Both deck and post are made from pressure treated wood. I didn't think carpenter bees would bother treated wood, but either I got cheated on the lumber or these are some kind of super mutant bees.

I don't want to paint the deck. How do I prevent more carpenter bees from chewing holes in my deck again next spring if I do manage to get rid of these this year?"

Painting is the best way to go, but can understand why you wouldn't want to paint the deck.

You can treat the deck with pesticides. The powders (in water) will leave a film, but last longer than most of the solvents, which can be affected by water in the form of rain or when you hose the deck down. If you do this twice monthly during the spring your deck should be safe.

One thing that all bees have in common: they protect their nests. A female attempting to lay eggs can and often will sting. The worst sting that I've ever had was from a carpenter bee laying eggs in a porch ceiling recess that did not have a light fixture installed.

Try to fill all holes to prevent overwintering by the adults.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:26 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmatl View Post
The house I'm renting has carpenter bees. 'Landlord said his exterminator said you can't get rid of them (???) - but I know that's not true. Can anyone recommend an exterminator that is accustomed to dealing with such pests?

Oh, and just to tell you how bad it is: There have been three new "nesting holes" bored in as many days.

BTW - I'm in Raleigh, NC.

eileen
everytime I see one I take my hose and spray the hell out of it I guess they got the message because i havent had any this year

Old 04-22-2007, 12:49 PM

177 posts, read 847,366 times
'Definitely got to do something. Besides the three new holes in the front of the house's trim, there's two new ones out back. The trim is painted - but the house is almost 100 years old - so I guess it's an easy target for them.

eileen

Old 04-22-2007, 01:40 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I just take a bit of wasp spray and spray it in the hole when the bee is in there - or not. Just a tiny spritz. That's the easiest way unless you have billions of bees.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 12,572 times
Default Need Recommendation too -- Aluminum siding?

I have all the tell-tale signs of Carpenter Bees -- the holes, I've seen a few, etc. But the holes are in my siding? Anyone ever hear of them boring therough the siding?

Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
That's interesting. I have never heard of carpenter bees. Maybe they are just in the south?

Sometimes they get carpenter ants here. Now those you really don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House