Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
#1 (House in older neighborhood) 29 87.88%
#2 (House in subdivision) 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The chain link fencing would be a big "ick" factor, but I suppose in your own yard you could hide it behind a plank fence or some shrubbery.
OP just said wire - not chain link. We have a wire fence that fits our old house neighborhood. It has pipe posts & top rail and is woven crimped wirewith a scalloped top. Our back yards are large w/not much back there, so w/just this 3' or so tall wire fence we can see all of 4 neighbors backyards and it all looks like one huge park like area. Nice views for everyone, but the next door neighbor's dog & kids stay in their own yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
".....I couldn't deal with the zoning gestapo telling ME that I can't have a clothesline, or colorful patio lights. And I hate those ugly white mercury vapor lights in subdivisions. They are hideous. Sadly, they are showing up all over the place. Nothing runs a town into the ground like ugly lighting ! I want a house like the Addams Family......."

Amen! I see a lot of people picked the older house/older neighbourhood too.
Newer subdivisions might be okay for many, but no, Id rather have some space between two homes....and I dont mean a 10-ft span. Homes are different styles and colours, every yard is unique, not some cookie-cutter home where you can only have 2 choices of colours: tan or light tan.
No fencing or block walls needed, except maybe for decoration, clothesline friendly, your mailbox isnt a block away under lock and key, and you can have any type of tree(s) you want in your yard.
I cant imagine squeezing 10 houses on a 2 acre lot, theres no room for anything and you cant even sneeze without a neighbour complaining to the HOA gestapo that youre making too much noise.
Not that HOA doesnt have its benefits....dont get me wrong... Im sure they do, but its not for me and never will be.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I wouldn't choose either.

I don't like old houses and I actually prefer to be in a maintained subdivision with CCRs and an HOA. So #1 is out

But #2 is waaay too far from work. So #2 is out as well.

Also, just because you have CCRs and an HOA doesn't mean you have to live in a cookie cutter subdivision. There are lots of subdivisions where multiple builders built many different styles of new homes. One of those, closer to work would be my choice.

If I were forced to choose between the two you listed, I would pick #1, in spite of all the things I don't like. Commute time would be the deciding factor for me.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
Number 2 any day (actualy I would look for a home similar but with more of a yard and space between the homes) - House number one sounds really nice, but the neighborhood and neighbor factor would put me off big time - you can't change your neighbors - be careful.

I LIKE yes I did say I like HOA's - I like knowing my neighborhood is somehow watched and maintained to keep yards looking nice, junk out of the yards, and pink houses in a different neighborhood. I personally would not do the things that HOA's veto so it is not of concern to me.

I live in a beautiful new neighborhood with custom built homes 1/3 acre lots - not cookie cutter, and yes I love my HOA. Driving in other neighborhoods where weeds abound, junk is in the yard, and purple trimed orange houses are plentiful - I don't regret my choice at all! Thank you HOA if that is what it takes. To each their own, but I enjoy my well maintained neighborhood, and so do the others that live here.

I know this will not be the popular opinion, but just sharing my take
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House