Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,343,634 times

Advertisements

Yeah, remember T comes after P as in after the P-Trap. It leaves you a easy place to use a shop vacuum and it doesn't really need to be air tight since the water in the trap acts as a "cap".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 50,229 times
Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 10,907 times
i poured draino in my airconditioner drain tray. my air conditioner came on before we got it out and it started popping and smoking . is there anything i can do to fix this.. have i ruined my central air unit?please help me asap!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,674,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy stricklan View Post
i poured draino in my airconditioner drain tray. my air conditioner came on before we got it out and it started popping and smoking . is there anything i can do to fix this.. have i ruined my central air unit?please help me asap!
It sounds like that wasn't your drain pan...

Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM

Drain-o is acidic. Not exactly something you're looking for if you want to maintain your HVAC system.

A shop vac will clear the drain lines and the worst thing you could do would be to put chlorine down your drain pipes. Chlorine gas -- a byproduct of how chlorine works -- is about as acidic as it comes to metal.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 AM

79 posts, read 321,828 times
I have a 10 year warranty on my split HVAC unit. We have it regularly serviced. My installer recommended that we put a cup of bleach into a gallon of water and put one cup of it into the lines once a month when we change the filters. Can't see the harm and what we paid for the thing I'm gonna do whatever it takes to keep it in tip-top shape.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Chemical Information

Chlorine is an oxidizer and the last thing you want to do is prematurely oxidize your evaporator coil.

Of course if I made money on servicing your system I'd want you to put all the acid you can find on your fundamental systems in your hvac system.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 21,496 times
My Ac repair man come and change the drain, but he diid not instal ike I have before that was a pipe that we can pour beach to keep it cean he stated that is nto need it, now my ac got clog again and water got in the pan and fooded and drip in the bedroom downstairs. What shold I did since I have to turn off my ac, please advice, thank you

Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 21,496 times
My Ac repair man come and change the drain, but he diid not instal like I have before that was a pipe that we can pour beach to keep it clean he stated that is not need it, now my ac got clog again and water got into the pan and flooded and dripping in the bedroom downstairs. What shold I do since I have to turn off my ac, please advice, thank you

Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,497,330 times
BigJon is the expert here, but there may be some confusion here based on what type of air handler systems you may have.

If you have an attic air handler, it is my understanding that you have two drain lines......one regular one that drains wherever, perhaps even hooked to a condesate pump, etc, and one emergency drain line that is higher up on the pan, that acts as an overflow in case the primary drain line gets plugged. That secondary line should end where you can see it, usually by the front door. If you see water coming out from it, then you know you have a plug in the main drain line.

My A/C guy told me that I should just pour a bit of vinegar down the line every few months....my unit also has a float switch, so if I do ever get a clog the unit will not turn on. I'm interested in what Bigjon thinks of this.

My primary drain line drains close to my condensing unit, so it is always easy to see if it is draining.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House