Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:02 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times

Advertisements

I am located in South Louisiana, just north of New Orleans. I am in a very rural area with woods all around me. Something is making round holes in my yard every night. The holes very in size but they are always round and it looks like a "divit" of grass by each hole.

Any idea what this could be? I'm thinking Armadillos (spelling ?). It's not moles because there isn't any tunnels.

So....any ideas on what this might be? AND how to stop them? I have lived in this house for 13 years and have never had this problem.

Also, just so you know......I'm am not going to stay up all night watching and shoot the offenders. No gun...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 PM

376 posts, read 1,808,891 times
Could be, one of the first animals I thought of. Also might be skunk? Have you had lots of slugs or beetles in your lawn this year? If you get rid of the food source, you'll get rid of the animal. I guess you could use a haveaheart trap, but I don't know what would attract an armadillo.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:25 PM

We are behind on the rain fall so my yard is very dry. I haven't seen any slugs but beetles would be a possibility. I do have a trap that I used to catch a racoon that was getting into my garbage but as you said, I don't know what I would put in it.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Could it be squirrels? Digging holes and burying things for Fall?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Could it be squirrels? Digging holes and burying things for Fall?
If it is, they are forgetting to put something in the hole and cover it.

No the holes are open. Round, about an 1" to 1 1/2", about the same deep and the clump of dirt/grass is near the hole.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
If it is, they are forgetting to put something in the hole and cover it.

No the holes are open. Round, about an 1" to 1 1/2", about the same deep and the clump of dirt/grass is near the hole.
Hold on, now.

Do they look like this?
http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agriculture/lib/agriculture/plantindustryfiles/cicada_hole_with_nickle.jpg (broken link)

If so, staying up all night with a gun wouldn't do you any good anyway.

Those are cicada emergence holes. How long have you been in Louisiana? I'm guessing not very long if you haven't seen cicada holes. You know that loud, ubiquitous chorus of insects that you are hearing every evening at about sunset? That's cicadas.
http://www.cicadamania.com/images/vibul2007/cicada02-large.jpg (broken link)

Another possibility in Louisiana if you have water on or near your property is that those are crayfish chimneys.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Default that's not it

No Jim they don't look like that. What you picture looks like something coming out of the ground. What I have looks like something digging in the ground.

I've been in Louisiana for 27 years and in this house for 13. Never saw this before.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Another possibility in Louisiana if you have water on or near your property is that those are crayfish chimneys.
I know what crawfish "holes" look like also and yes they do look like chimneys.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Hold on, now.

Do they look like this?

If so, staying up all night with a gun wouldn't do you any good anyway.

Those are cicada emergence holes. How long have you been in Louisiana? I'm guessing not very long if you haven't seen cicada holes. You know that loud, ubiquitous chorus of insects that you are hearing every evening at about sunset? That's cicadas.

I was thinking either mudbugs or insects and I bet you are right on this one. If so - give the man a brass ring

Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
How about this?

You may be a bit far south for chipmunks, but they do range into the "upper" of the LA boot. Their holes are generally less than 3" across and shallow. May dig several false holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House