Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,946,801 times

Advertisements

What model Kenmore do you have? I have the 1980 Sears Best TOL Kenmore Canister...29yo and going strong...these were truly workhorses, I pray it goes another 29 years...lol It's in mint condition like it was just out of the box. I am with you about having a bagged vacuum, don't like the mess and smell of the bagless vacuums...gross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Most new vacuums are engineered for looks and profit, not durability.

Me ... I'll stick with my oldies. The 22 year old Oreck I have - still going fine. The 26 year old Kenmore cannister - still going fine too. The Oreck had 2 belts, the Kenmore got a belt and a replacement hose because duct tape wouldn't keep it together anymore.

Both are bag style. Yes, they'll lose suction over time, but so do bagless vacuums, only that in such instances, one has to replace $10+ filters instead of $1 bags. A bag can be pulled out without causing much of a dust cloud; dumping a bin causes a major dust cloud, which if you don't do it outdoors, you just introduced that dust back into your room.

If I had to buy a new vacuum, I'd opt for an Oreck. No, it's not going to be as convenient, but it's the same design as it has been for many years, is a proven durable, and fully serviceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,126 times
Default We need a Vacuum Poll!

Reminds me of a horse race...."and its Dirt Devil in the lead...followed by Dust Buster....with Kenmore Canister coming up on the outside!.... maybe we need a poll?? We haven't even mentioned "Favorite Color"! Are dust busters extinct?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:52 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
You could buy one at a Janitor supply company the most popular is the Windsor Vacuum, they might be costly if you have to buy only one. If you know a contract cleaning company you can buy one from them. Many of them are warranted for two years, but that's two years of industrial use

Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yikes! $300 for a vacuum cleaner????

If my c.1981 Eureka ever dies ($49 at MurphyMart! ), I don't know what I'll do.

Consult Consumer Reports. It probably recommends better vacuums for much less than you think you have to spend.
Yeah. I used to get those, too.

I have a really heavy weight berber carpet.
When I first got my Dyson, I was shocked at all the dirt and cat hairs from a pet I had had who died years ago that the old vacuum left behind.

The Dyson had such suction that it actually raised the rug a bit as it vacuumed.

It is the only vacuum I ever had that leaves the air smelling good afterward.

It has a Hepa filter that captures such fine particles that it is used in burn units in UK hospitals, as well as in the rest of the building/s.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The best are the commercial Hoover and Kirby's if you want a lifetime vacuum but they can cost $800 dollars.Consumer reports does not rate the cleaning of Dysons very high really .
Yeah. I don't know why, though. I was amazed that they did not give it the highest rating they had. Maybe they purchased a reworked model from some store that should have been selling first inventory. I just don't know.

On the other hand, I have had mostly cheaper vacuums in the past and this is the first that I've shelled out any money on. I will be purchasing a second for the other level of the house.

I love my Dyson. I am so glad that I didn't settle for a cheaper model. I love the ease of use of the wand and the attachments stored right up where I can get at them.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Most new vacuums are engineered for looks and profit, not durability.

Me ... I'll stick with my oldies. The 22 year old Oreck I have - still going fine. The 26 year old Kenmore cannister - still going fine too. The Oreck had 2 belts, the Kenmore got a belt and a replacement hose because duct tape wouldn't keep it together anymore.

Both are bag style. Yes, they'll lose suction over time, but so do bagless vacuums, only that in such instances, one has to replace $10+ filters instead of $1 bags. A bag can be pulled out without causing much of a dust cloud; dumping a bin causes a major dust cloud, which if you don't do it outdoors, you just introduced that dust back into your room.

If I had to buy a new vacuum, I'd opt for an Oreck. No, it's not going to be as convenient, but it's the same design as it has been for many years, is a proven durable, and fully serviceable.
I empty the Dyson by putting the canister into a plastic bag from the supermarket and pulling the little lever on top which opens a trap and the dirt just drops into the bag as I pull the opened canister out of the bag.

No dirt or dust - ever!

The Dyson filter you wash out yourself, let dry, and replace.

This is a very low cost and low maintenance vacuum. I don't have to store bags and o-rings and belts around the house. I called and asked them for an extra filter so I could use the machine when the first filter is drying. They sent it free of charge.

Before getting this little gem, I would have totally agreed with you, but I am a bit of a cheap skate and did my homework before buying this machine.

Yeah. I have a two leveled house and don't like lugging it up and down stairs.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:25 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,126 times
One word of caution. I've heard that the Dysons will suck up the nails in the sub flooring!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM

79 posts, read 347,100 times
Miele. Pricy but top of the line. I love it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
One word of caution. I've heard that the Dysons will suck up the nails in the sub flooring!
Yes, and shine them and put them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House