U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

128 posts, read 613,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I find ironing painful. I never fail to burn myself, somewhere on my body. *sigh* Never used to mind it -- I'd spend hours ironing my pleated cotton blouses and rayon skirts and dresses.

Now I just toss 'em in the dryer and hope for the best. I'm turning into my mother. *sigh*
Amen to that. I haven't ironed anything in years. I'm very picky in what I buy. My dryer has a you forgot to take your clothes out on time cycle!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,146,970 times
I swear no matter how much I iron I can't get wrinkles out..

Old 08-04-2009, 05:56 PM

46,626 posts, read 58,077,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I swear no matter how much I iron I can't get wrinkles out..
If you have a good steam iron and a can of spray sizing or spray starch, you will get good results. If your steam iron isn't working right, then just spray your clothes with water.
When I was growing up in the 50's, all the Moms used a bottle of water with a sprinkler top. They sprinkled the clothes, rolled them up, and put them in the fridge, if they didn't iron them that day.
I think of ironing as instant gratification..I can see the results of my labor, and I can also daydream while I do it.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Today, I made pea soup, corn bread and a blueberry cake for dessert. Didn't get to scub anything much today, but maybe tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:33 PM

677 posts, read 2,262,793 times
Ugh! Not really.

I don't mind working on specific cleaning projects and getting into all the details, like doing a really good job on the floors or really cleaning house in the kitchen. But, I hate having to do a lot of general/overall cleaning at one time. That could be avoided if I did a bit of work everyday, but it seems that "everyday" something comes up and it all eventually turns into a big day of work.

That's when it ****s.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,919,891 times
After raising 7 children, during which all of the time I was convinced I was a horrible housekeeper, I love having a clean house! It's much smaller than a couple that we lived in when the kids were all home, all tile and faux wood floors which are a snap to clean (Eureka shark steamer for the tile). I love to do laundry, which prompts one of my friends to call me "disturbed" LOL. What I like is going beyond "clean" to practically sanitary for floors, kitchen, and baths. My Darling DIL does my windows for me sometimes. Since I work more than full time, most of my cleaning is on the weekends with just little spiff ups during the week (mostly vacuuming up the dang cat fur).

Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 AM

964 posts, read 2,482,094 times
No... I like housekeepers more

Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM

26,700 posts, read 26,458,399 times
I actually enjoyed working as a homecleaner, and still do. Trouble is, these days, its a great cash paying side job, but who can afford to have homecleaning services anymore.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
After raising 7 children, during which all of the time I was convinced I was a horrible housekeeper, I love having a clean house! It's much smaller than a couple that we lived in when the kids were all home, all tile and faux wood floors which are a snap to clean (Eureka shark steamer for the tile). I love to do laundry, which prompts one of my friends to call me "disturbed" LOL. What I like is going beyond "clean" to practically sanitary for floors, kitchen, and baths. My Darling DIL does my windows for me sometimes. Since I work more than full time, most of my cleaning is on the weekends with just little spiff ups during the week (mostly vacuuming up the dang cat fur).
I really get that. When all 4 kids were home, I never totally finished anything..the laundry, the cleaning, etc. I guess that's why I so appreciate being able to do it now.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM

30,351 posts, read 75,436,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Tweeking my house is my idea of a fun day. Today, I'm excited because I got a new iron and a fresh can of Niagra, and I'm looking forward to some ironing.

Bigger fun is in store, since we're finishing up a bathroom remodel and it's almost time to put it back together.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I don't enjoy like cleaning the refrigerator and washing floors, but for the most part, I love housekeeping.
Can you please come live at our house? We will give you free room and board and someone else will clean out the fridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House