Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Any chance you can get a model # of the outdoor unit or if you already know the capacity in tonnage that would be helpful. I also revised the above post so you can understand why it's so important.
The model no. for the outdoor unit is Luxaire HBBC-F042SA. I don't know what the capacity is. We just moved into the house.

I did a bit of an experiment last night. I ran the A/C for several hours with all the attic vents open. In doing so the system seemed to be turning on a lot more often and running longer. I then closed all the attic vents and found that the system was turning on less often and was running for a shorter period of time. This supports my original theory that the hotter air from the attic constantly being pulled into the system is making it work harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Okie dokie then. Again shorter run times doesn't always mean things are better and you're saving money but to each his own. You should look up how a refrigeration cycle works it would be beneficial.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
No, you choked the system out most liekly. How big is the system? How big are the returns and what is the spacing between the slats and are the return vents filter grilles? Meaning is that where you replace your filters if and when you do.
You don't know that, you failed to ask how big the house is, what percentage the attic represents, etc.

Yes if you close off 50 - 60% of the house, it can be a problem, but closing off a single room in a normal house is not an issue.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Yes I do know that. Go to school for 4 years of HVAC and you might realize all of what you said has no bearing in anything I'm talking about.

choking - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Try closing off 1/4 of your mouth and see how easy it is for you to breathe. This all negates that you change the amount of heat being added to the evaporator coil which also changes the point in the evaporator where the latent heat of vaporization happens. If you choke it off enough, like say they use pleated filters you could make your evaporator coil a useless piece of equipment that does nothing but removes latent heat. How big the house is has very little to do with what I'm referring to thanks for trying though.

Quote:
This represents a savings of 10% for the customer. Most of the cooling season the cooling loads are well below the capacity of properly sized air conditioners, and for oversized units the short cycling is a substantial problem. Because of the short cycles, Bill's high-efficiency air conditioner is less efficient.
http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...95/950509.html

Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Interesting article. So it sounds like longer cycles are actually better for the unit. With the attic vents open my a/c was cycling about every 10 minutes. (on 10 minutes, off 10 minutes). Does that sound reasonable? When the attic vents were closed, the cycle was more like 8 minutes on, 20 minutes off. I'm just having a hard time grasping how the 8/20 scenario is not saving electricity since the unit is running less.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Just an FYI A/C system are designed to run @ 400 CFM/ton. So a 3.5 ton system should be moving around 1400 CFM. You can lower it to 350 CFM/ton if everything in the system is verified. What that does is: You'll lose some sensible capacity and gain latent capacity. If all conditions are as they should be and AHRI standard conditions are present you'll have a capacity of:

Quote:
Total Cooling Btu/hr- 42,128
Sensible Cooling Btu/hr- 30,991
Latent Cooling Btu/hr- 11 ,137
Tons of Cooling- 3.51
CFM per Ton- 398.8
Sensible Heat Ratio- 0.74
Dry Bulb TD- 20°
Enthalpy Difference- 6.71 Btu/lb
Mass Air Flow Rate- 6315.41 lb/hr-105.26 lb/min
CFM Entering Coil- 1457.7 ft³/min
Apparatus Dew Point- 54.6°
Bypass Factor- 0.21
Condensation Rate- 10.51 lb/hr-2.8 oz/min
Condensate Water Temp- 55.6° approximate
Now lets say you have "choked off the system to a point where you only lose 100 CFM:

Quote:
Total Cooling Btu/hr- 39,119
Sensible Cooling Btu/hr- 28,777
Latent Cooling Btu/hr- 10,342
Tons of Cooling- 3.26
CFM per Ton- 398.8
Dry Bulb TD- 20°
Mass Air Flow Rate- 5864.31 lb/hr-97.74 lb/min
CFM Entering Coil- 1353.6 ft³/min
Bypass Factor- 0.21
Condensation Rate- 9.76 lb/hr-2.6 oz/min
Condensate Water Temp- 55.6° approximate
As you can see with just a loss of 100 cfm you lost around 3,000 btu/hr of capacity or about a .25 ton. May not seem like a lot but cutting of one return and using pleated filters you can lose much more than that. Let's look at 350CFM/ton:

Quote:
Total Cooling Btu/hr- 36,862
Sensible Cooling Btu/hr- 27,117
Latent Cooling Btu/hr- 9,745
Tons of Cooling- 3.07
CFM per Ton- 398.8
Dry Bulb TD- 20°
Mass Air Flow Rate- 5525.99 lb/hr-92.1 lb/minCFM
Entering Coil- 1275.5 ft³/min
Bypass Factor- 0.21
Condensation Rate- 9.2 lb/hr-2.45 oz/min
As you can see you're now down to a 3 ton system. Of course that doesn't change the compressor fan or anything else except the amount of cooling your system can provide for the same energy usage.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Interesting article. So it sounds like longer cycles are actually better for the unit. With the attic vents open my a/c was cycling about every 10 minutes. (on 10 minutes, off 10 minutes). Does that sound reasonable? When the attic vents were closed, the cycle was more like 8 minutes on, 20 minutes off. I'm just having a hard time grasping how the 8/20 scenario is not saving electricity since the unit is running less.
When your unit starts that the point it draws the most energy. As it equalizes, after around 15 minutes or so, that's where it's most efficient. For the first second or so as it starts it's in a condition know as locked rotor amperage. Now it's only like that for a brief moment but I would expect at that point it might be using somewhere around 14,000 watts or 14 kw/hr as far as the energy provider is concerned. It's not as dramatic as it sounds on the surface of what I'm saying because it quickly drops. The less heat it needs to remove as long as all conditions are equal the lower the power usage is. But don't confuse that with altering the refrigeration cycle. That latent heat of vaporization is critical which is why expansion valves are a very good idea. They guarantee the refrigerant always boils off in the evaporator before leaving it and it throttles the valve to keep it that way in almost all conditions barring low charge or bad fan motor or clogged filters or the wrong filters.
Quote:

Phase Changes

Though it's in metrics the point is the same. You see how long that line is at 100°C. What that is telling you is that know sensible (readable?) temperature change is happening but heat is still being adding. It's approximately 971 times more heat transferred than just adding 1°C from say 2°C to 3°C. The amount of heat ice take to heat up is half as much as when it's a liquid.

I'm sorry I hope I'm not being confusing.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
When your unit starts that the point it draws the most energy. As it equalizes, after around 15 minutes or so, that's where it's most efficient.
Definitely confusing. But bottom line, you're saying that even though the unit is drawing air in directly from the attic (which is likely at least 10-15 deg hotter than the rest of the house), this is not causing the unit to run less efficiently? That's the answer I'm trying to get at. Cold air is being pumped into the attic, but the sun beats down on the roof all day so it's always significantly hotter up there and I was thinking that would cause less efficiency. What should a normal on/off cycle be in minutes?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Unless the attic is insulated from the lower floors, which if it's finished I'm "guessing" it's not. Heat transfer faster with the greater the TD (temperature difference). My suggestive solution to you would be to foam the underside of the roof. It's not all that terribly expensive and will solve the larger TD the attic and second floors. Also making sure, if you have can lights, that they are well sealed. In the winter another great thing to do is check where the inside walls are located in the attic and make sure they are sealed. The higher temps. in the home have a stack effect, like a chimney, by allowing the conditioned warmer air to rise right through any cracks and crevices that lead into that attic. If it's covered with carper and drywall this obviously is not as easy. You can also achieve a slight bit more efficiency by, however you have possible, shading the outdoor unit. The unit you have is a 12 SEER system so it's not to terribly inefficient in the first place. I would look to see if you have a flow rater or piston type metering device. If you do something called a thermal expansion valve can add as a much as 1 extra SEER rating to your system. The envelopoe is the most important part to achieving energy savings, then next would be buying the smallest unit that achieves what you need it to which can be found through having a load calculation done. Remember that when a proper load calculation is done the goal is not to have a system that can cool the house on the very hottest of days but one that is designed for about 80% of the hottest of days you'll see in your area. It's also always a good idea to put, even if it's $50/month, money up for repairs and/or replacement time. It'll make things much less of a headache if it clunks out on you. Agaian this is all my opinion through my experience from schooling and being in the trenches. I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 08-06-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 PM

FRASER JOHNSTON Central Air Conditioner model: HBBC-F042S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House