Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Apparently Mickey is living in my house somewhere... its 3 floors.... how do i start the search and eviction?
You will need a court order or he/she may/will sue you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I see we're not allowed to discuss Mickey in LV

Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
I'm glad he packed his bags and left my house and found a new home!

When his family comes looking for him, I use the glue traps. Then me & my husband fights over who throws out the taps... Also I found these bait cubes. You can put them like behind your fridge. (Not sure where you see him/her run) They also have some bait in a bag, just tear the corner & throw it behind something. Only bad thing is when they die.... you have you use your spidey census and find where that raunchy smell is coming from

Old 08-11-2009, 08:10 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
We've dealt with mice in two homes before, and found the easiest, best way to kill them was those traps that are black box-looking things. You put a tiny bit of peanut butter in the hole, close the "door", and put them in the corner. It kills them instantly, and you don't have to touch them.

Otherwise, the Mice Cube works, which is a live trap, but if you do this, you must release them far away, as in miles, from your house, or they'll come right back.

Put all food in mice proof containers. Mice are crafty.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Default Wow that could be kinky...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Can't be Mickey...I'd let him move in my place and do whatever he wants...in exchange for royalties, of course. Heck...I'd even let him sleep with my wife! (and secretly tape them)
Especially when she wants to be on top.

When is it going to be on U-Tube, I don't know if I will pay any royalties until I watch it at least a dozen times to be sure it is for real.

Why be secret, join in a combo.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
Getting rid of a mouse.
1. Peanut butter and a mouse trap.
2. Or, if you want to release him to the wild, then peanut butter in a trap with a release hinge that shuts the opening - this prevents injury to the animal.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 18,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
I know you want humane, but if it finds your pantry, you will have a different feeling.
Tell me, what excuse do you have to throw a live mouse stuck on a glue trap, into the bin, where it dies from starvation... when you can kill it quickly?

I'd really like to hear it.

Glue traps are disgusting, inhumane devices that should be banned. They do nothing but torture the animal instead kill it outright. A quick-kill trap is the way to go.

Quote:
Sounds brutal, but throwing him in the trash to die of dehydration is worse.
And why would someone ever contemplate chucking a living creature on a sheet of glue, discarding it like garbage, where it'll just be in agony for who knows how long?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
I trap mine in empty milk gallon jugs and then hike 'em up waaay the hill or drive them to the local park...only have visitors in the winter when it gets VERY cold. No critters in the summer.

They come up from the basement, through the wall plumbing...am working on closing all passages before next chill arrives.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Wee have always had mice everywhere we lived. We tried every kind of trap imaginible. the only ones that do the job and do not leave you feeling guilty eventually are the spring traps that usually break their necks and kill them instantly.

The live traps rarely work and occaisionally some of them kill the mice or maim them. The two biggest problems with live traps are that you tend to forget to check them every day and then the mouse starves or dehydrates (horrid death), or you do nto go far enough away to release the mouse and it just comes back. By experimenting a little bit we discovered that you have to go really far away (miles) or the mouse will find its way back to your house (we put a laundry marker mark on them when we released them and ended up trapping them again later).

At least with the spring traps if you forget you get get a bad smell that reminds you rather than feeling like crud for torturing an animal.

If you use the spring traps get the old fashioned kind. The ones with a fake piece of plastic cheese do not work very often. The old fashionhed kind work great. Use peanut butter and if it does nto work, try other things. Cheese, sausage, butter wit sunflower seeds. Eventually you will find what your mouse likes. Put the traps in places where mice like to ravel (behind or under the stove/fridge, in corners, places where they can hide. The spring traps are cheap so we usually just toss them in the trash when they catch a mouse. It depends on how we feel and how many mice we have. If there are a lot, it can get expensive to throw them away every time. However it is gross to store them for any time after they have been used successfully.

We also discovered that fumigating the house for bugs also kills the mice. Sometimes we find them stumbling around like drunken sailors. I do not know whether it is humane. Maybe they just get stoned and die, who knows. The problem with fumigation and other poisons is that they do not die out in the open and they can crawl into the walls an rot - ick.

When we used the sticky traps we used to put them behind the wheel of the car int eh drive way and run them over. However the traps tend to stick to your wheels for a while sometimes. The worst was when we ran over a mouse in the sticky trap and he did not die, we felt really awful then.

We tried the no kill traps in many different forms, the electric shock traps of differnt types (finding a squirming half cooked mouse is not pleasant). We tried those ultrasonic mouse repellant thingies (saw a mouse walk right up and niff it on more than one occiasion). We tried a cat - she hunts and terrizes the dog (who outweighs the cat by at least 135 pounds), but she doe not often get any mice. We tried poisons, hiring extermination companies (works great until the mice come back. It gets to be a pain in the rear to have to keep making appointments for them to come back. They are expensive too). Two things work well. Spring traps and raid fumigators for bugs (not foggers).

If you use the spring traps, use a lot of them and keep using them for several weeks otherwise the babies grow up and you ahve a new infestation. YYou have to get the parrents, and then the babies when they get out on their own. They reproduce and grow up really fast. In one house I set 20 traps. We could hear them going off all night. IN the morning all of them were sprung and we had caught 12 mice. We re-set the others and eventually caught another 10. Many of them were adolescents, especially later. generally themice move into houses in the late fall when food outside begins to get scarce. It is nearly impossible to keep them out. They do a lot of damage. ty will chew up wires, speakers, mattresses, upholstry, anything and everything. They also get inot your food and pee in it. One of the grossest things that I was told is that they will sometimes sneak up when you are sleeping and get a drink from your mouth or eyes. I am not sure if that is true ot just an urban legend. It is gross though.

They do spread dangerous diseases, destroy your property and can even chew iwres enough to cause a fire in really rate circumstances. I kind of like them when they are outside, but if they are in yo9ur house, you must get rid of all of them quickly.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
By the way, it is rumoured that being around mice can ruin your typing skills and make you mistype one word in 8 when you post things on Citydata and do not take th etime to spell check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House