Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM

250 posts, read 1,112,815 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyones input.

My wife was talking to someone at her work that remodels/builds homes for a living and has a son that will do it for $50, however I am going to pay him $100 because I feel that even at $100 it is a bargain and he is really just doing us a favor.

If I had more time without having to watch two kids under 2yrs, I would learn and figure out how to do it myself. But it's been six months without a kitchen while getting it remodeled and I just want everything done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Sounds like best of both worlds!!

We do these projects ourselves - but I came from a home where my father did all the maintenance on the home (roofing, painting, installing appliances, replacing cabinets, replacing sinks/garbage disposals, tiling, etc..) himself. When I got married and bought a home, it never occurred to me that anyone (other than the very rich) would pay to have these things done.

Thanks goodness I married a guy with some handy-skills!! Between us - we do okay.

However, we have now sucked it up and paid to have drywall finished (taped and mudded) - 'cause we're BAD at it, and to have a new doorway (load-bearing wall) put in.

I understand about just wanting a project finished. Entertain the kids and keep an eye on what the hand-guy is doing - maybe you'll see enough to learn for next time (if there is one)..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Thanks for everyones input.

My wife was talking to someone at her work that remodels/builds homes for a living and has a son that will do it for $50, however I am going to pay him $100 because I feel that even at $100 it is a bargain and he is really just doing us a favor.

If I had more time without having to watch two kids under 2yrs, I would learn and figure out how to do it myself. But it's been six months without a kitchen while getting it remodeled and I just want everything done.
Good compromise. I have one under 2 years - it's hard enough to get anything done that way.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:40 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
My brother in law is a master plumber and years ago he changed ours out and it took him less than 30 minutes to take out the old one and to put in the new one..

But he knows what he is doing.. It probably would have taken me 4 hours to do it..

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,780 times
I now have to replace a disposal in a 25 year old house and it does not feature the standard twist type bayonet mount which would make it easy. This unknown make is held in by 4 metal clips of some sort. There are four screws that hold the mount to the bottem of the sink. The problem now is that I have to have a prcedure done to my neck tomorrow so the project will have to wait a week, anyway. When I was working as a maintenance person, the trick I used was to hold up the unit with a small scissors jack.
John

Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
I've replaced two disposals and it really is simple. The first one had all the separate pieces (someone mentioned earlier), the screws, gaskets, etc. What a mess! But the ones now -- one solid piece are a cinch!

To me, it wasn't the disposal that was the most difficult. It was working underneath there in such a tight space! I can't imagine how bigger fellows do -- maybe that's added onto the fee!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Interesting timing to see this thread bumped up since we had to replace a disposal last week. I think the hardest part of the process was finding out just where in the garage the pipe cutters had vanished to. Everything else was very straightforward and uneventful.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 561 times
Kinda funny that all you DIYs think this is an easy job. Between the purchase of the disposal which is $200+...running a dedicated circuit to a GFI breaker...running a wire for a switch through the wall and then redoing all of the under sink plumbing. Materials alone including the Disposal can easily be $300+....add labor to this and a new disposal can certainly run in the $700.00 range!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Lowe's removed and installed a new GD for $100.00 plus the cost of the GD which was about $125 so a total of about $225. Plumber had to recut/reroute one PVC pipe

Old 09-15-2016, 08:54 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,908,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLCo View Post
Kinda funny that all you DIYs think this is an easy job. Between the purchase of the disposal which is $200+...running a dedicated circuit to a GFI breaker...running a wire for a switch through the wall and then redoing all of the under sink plumbing. Materials alone including the Disposal can easily be $300+....add labor to this and a new disposal can certainly run in the $700.00 range!
You are talking about installing a disposal where none previously existed, necessitating electrical wiring and plumbing.
Most homes already have a disposal installed, so all of the hard work is done, it just requires removing the old unit and replacing it with a new unit.
The only electrical wiring required is to remove the electrical cord from the old unit and connect it to the new one. It may require a small amount of plumbing rerouting, but in most cases, not even that. If you know what your doing, it can easily be done in 30 minutes, plus or minus a few minutes.
Disconnect the D/W drain line, unplug the cord, disconnect the waste line, turn the top mounting connector with a screw driver, and lower it down. In most cases you don't need to replace the part that goes in the sink, the old one can be reused.
Swap out the electrical cord and reverse the procedure. Quick and simple. Don't forget to knock out the factory plug for the D/W drain line if you have a D/W... Then, grind away...
Oh, and you can get a good disposal for around $100, no need to spring for a $200 dollar one for home use. 1/2 Hp unit $89 at HD, 3/4 HP unit $99 at HD. They have more expensive ones but you don't need to pay more than the $100 one at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House