Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times

Advertisements

We settled on a new home on Monday, and I'd like to give the place a good steam cleaning before we move in.

I started to do some on line research on hand-held steam cleaners. I thought it would be simple. Not!!! The reports suggest that the smaller (under $100.00) ones aren't worth the effort and $$. Some of them are *very* expensive.

I'm not in the market for a carpet steam cleaner. I want the type that will do tile, baths, kitchens, stoves, etc.

Anyone out there have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Save your money. I have some experience. I thought, oh great, this is really going to get the ground in dirt, but it didn't at least not the ones they sell at Bed. Bath and Beyond or that you see advertised. Very disappointed. So I am back to tooth brush, hot water. colox...etc.

There are steam cleaners that have more pressure but they are more for commerical use. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:08 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Don't waste your money..it'll be another gadget that isn't all you'd hope for.

You maybe able to rent a REAL unit depending where you are.(yellow pages)
But be forwarned..a REAL unit is Big and Heavy. Otherwise get out the elbow grease.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I agree, save your money! I haven't found or used one that really works yet. I suggest paying for someone to come in and do the whole thing with real commercial equipment before you move in.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
Thanks, everyone, for your comments based on personal experience.

Perhaps I can find one at a local rental center. I guess I'm really feeling tenacious about wanting to do some areas of the house myself. Maybe I'm just stubborn.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 12,247 times
Default Vapor Steam Cleaners: Knowing What You Are Getting and Where It Came From

Vapor steam cleaners do the job! I have one and adore it!!! I cannot imagine not having one. I am very much against chemicals. Here is an story that will help you decide where to get one. I'm not good at this and I can't get the links to work so I'm posting the story. Sorry.

[url]http://www.epinions.com/content_4824670340[/url]

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-10-2008 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Don't waste your money..it'll be another gadget that isn't all you'd hope for.

You maybe able to rent a REAL unit depending where you are.(yellow pages)
But be forwarned..a REAL unit is Big and Heavy. Otherwise get out the elbow grease.
I've owned both the little ones and a big Aladin diesel fired steam cleaner that was used to clean cruise ships. The big one could strip grease off grills in one pass, but it weighed over 600 lbs and was at the very limits of my strength to move. Cost on a new one is WAY beyond what a homeowner would want to pay. The little ones are fine for tiny jobs, but too time consuming to be practical for jobs like cleaning the grout on an entire tile floor. You also have to use distilled water in them or risk gunking them up quickly.

Environmentally, they use a lot of power to do the same job that vinegar and time can do. I agree with the idea of getting a pro to do any major cleaning.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:03 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
i rented a commercial version once, it was awesome. It wasn't too big sorta like a canister vacuum i guess. I rented it from a vacuum store. Wish I new were one was around here!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,324 times
I researched and found a great vapor steam system called vapamore, for a reasonable price. It offers allot of bang for the buck for $299 compared to others in the same category. I've read some good things about it. vapamore.com

Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,636 times
Default Vapamore proprietor completely rude!

I would like to reveal a conversation that just transpired between myself and one of the two "proprietors" of Vapormore (1-800-468-2767). With my birthday coming up, I was looking into vapor cleaners and wanted being a conscientious consumer, was comparing models. Vapormore was one of the lower end priced models and I want to see how it compared to the higher end models. I looked at their web site and found some comparison items not listed so I called. I spoke w/ a man - who I later discovered was a "proprietor"- who kept referring me to the web site, not wanting to spend 5 minutes on the phone with me to answer a few questions. At one point he tried to send me to customer service but informed me the two representatives were busy. I asked him if it was worth losing a potential customer for 5 minutes of his time and he hung up. Annoyed and flabbergasted I decided to have my questions answered by a manager, disclosing to him/her what had just transpired. The same man answered and advised me he was a proprietor, accused me of being a "competitor", yelled and scream informing me I had no interesting in purchasing his cleaner. At this juncture, Vapamore couldn't give me their product. I am amazed that in today's economy a company owner would treat a potential customer with such impatience and disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House