Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM

3,039 posts, read 8,332,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
We are building with the same builder we had our first house with. Our old house was 8.5 years old when we sold it - and when the buyers sent the inspector to do the inspection - he really did not find anything major. Though he was VERY thorough. As a seller, it was quite annoying - the stuff he listed on the report. In fact, I was so annoyed by him, that now we have hired him as OUR inspector - if he does the same kind of thorough job like he did for the buyers of our old house - we are in good hands. D
Sounds like you hired yourself a good Inspector!!

Every builder wants to build their clients a perfect house. Unfortunately things do get missed even by the best builders. Hopefully it is nothing big that is missed but it does happen. If your builder is building a quality home then he will not only have no problem with the Inspector coming in but he will welcome the Inspector in. You're paying for an additional Quality Control check for the builder but it is well worth the peace of mind!!

Good move on the pictures and daily visits! By the time you are done building your house you will be in the small 1% category of people who actually know how their home is built and that it is built right!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 PM

577 posts, read 2,053,039 times
When my dad was having a house built in Colorado he was EXTREMELY grateful that he did a pre-drywall inspection. The insulation people did not put insulation in the attic. Not the kind of oops you want in Colorado in the wintertime!

Inspect every chance you get!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 AM

475 posts, read 1,571,458 times
Thanks. I am amazed by all the knowledge shared in these forums. I wish I had this when we built our first house in 2001. We did get an inspector to check out the finished house before we closed. However, did not know about getting an inspector come in before the one year warranty expired. One of the things we faced when we sold our house was the grading of the yard. Water would collect and take a long time to drain. This was mentioned in the report the buyers had, and luckily they did not mention anything about having that fixed. That would have cost quite a bit. We plan to get the inspector back in before the one year warranty is up so that we can get a professional opinion. The things you learn from experience !!!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,080,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
While building a house, would you get a pre-drywall inspection? We will get one before we close, but our realtor is strongly recommending we get a pre-drywall inspection as well. We had built our old house as well and had not gotten one...and wondering if we need to do it for this one.

Opinions?

Thanks,

D

Where we live, it is code to have a "rough-in" inspection. We can not move on to insulate & sheetrock until the frame, and all mechanicals have been inspected. If it is not code where you live, insist upon it...it is a very important inspection.

I go one further..we put the pics of our homes that we build on our website, including all stages of the build...that way, people can see that nothing is hidden under the drywall, nothing under there but the job done right.

good luck with your new home!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:14 PM

3,039 posts, read 8,332,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I go one further..we put the pics of our homes that we build on our website, including all stages of the build...that way, people can see that nothing is hidden under the drywall, nothing under there but the job done right.

good luck with your new home!
OUTSTANDING!! Do you provide the clients with a lot of photos for their records as well?

I was up on your site, pocononewhomes.net, if that is an example of your building I certainly wish you were down here in Texas!! We would have used you when we designed and had the home built. Very simple but elegant is the way to go!!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM

11 posts, read 27,894 times
In most of Texas it is code to have the pre-dry wall inspections by the city. Many builders will also tell you they've hired an independent inspector to inspect the home. But can you really trust someone who is paid by the person selling the home. My pre dry wall is Monday, but this is the one I had to request so that the inspector I hired can look at everything. My builder was all for me hiring my own person. Alot of builders aren't so.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,678,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1999 View Post
In most of Texas it is code to have the pre-dry wall inspections by the city. Many builders will also tell you they've hired an independent inspector to inspect the home. But can you really trust someone who is paid by the person selling the home. My pre dry wall is Monday, but this is the one I had to request so that the inspector I hired can look at everything. My builder was all for me hiring my own person. Alot of builders aren't so.
I can't really speak to the rest of Texas, but the COH structural inspection team is mediocre and permissive at best. They will notice that the builder did not use 8 penny nails to fasten the basically useless hurricane ties from the rafters to the plate but will miss something like 24" OC framing in a load-bearing wall or improperly sized joists. I don't know if I would trust them to catch a problem any more than I would trust a macrobuilder's independent inspector.

Nothing beats a homeowner who knows what to look for, visits the site daily or several times a week and asks a lot of annoying questions such as "why did you do this so?" or "if I call code enforcement are they going to have a problem with this?" or "are you sure that you can use duct tape to seal windows", but if you are unable to do that or have no idea where to start asking questions it is definitely in your interest to have a qualified person who represents you and only you on location to evaluate the building practices.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
OUTSTANDING!! Do you provide the clients with a lot of photos for their records as well?

I was up on your site, pocononewhomes.net, if that is an example of your building I certainly wish you were down here in Texas!! We would have used you when we designed and had the home built. Very simple but elegant is the way to go!!

oh wow...thank you so much! yes, our clients are given a nice gift basket at closing, with a cd of their build included.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 2 days ago)

43,065 posts, read 76,604,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1999 View Post
A builder who is against independent inspection at any "pre-cover up" point in the process would make me VERY nervous. I would consider that attitude a likely deal breaker during the builder selection process.

I also like a good look at the exterior prior to installation of finish materials. Some guys can install Tyvek. Some just don't seem to think it important.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:25 AM

good point, mike... all living space should be covered in house wrap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House