U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,178,972 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anybody else had a house built and what did they do in the meantime while it was being built. Our house is sold and we have to be out in a month and I can't seem find a short term rental. I had planned on putting our stuff in storage but since we are moving out of state I was looking at renting a townhouse with a garage and store our stuff there and live primative for a few months and get more aquainted with the area but I can't seem to be able to find a short term rental. We do have another place that we can go to but I need to be close to the new house so I can have the kids start at the correct schools without having to transfer.

Let alone the quotes that I got from moving companies just to move once is blowing me away, let alone we have to do it again in a couple of months ughhh!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 05:22 PM

31,304 posts, read 31,551,392 times
Lightbulb sell the house and pay rent to the new owner!

We stayed with in-laws for a month or so. Having to use a moving van twice is not fun and is costly! Some companies can store your belongings but it’s not cheap and it’s not always a good idea. Is there anyway that you can delay the sale of your home for the period of time needed?

On another move my wife and I sold our home and retained occupancy for an additional two months (we paid rent to the new owner) and then we could move out. The new owner was able to hold off moving into our home and the rent fee looked good to him at the time. It worked out very well for everyone and the delay was for only two months. Cheap rent compared to moving twice with the van service.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:48 PM

We had released our contingency to have the house built so that it would work out that we only had to move once.

Unfortunitely, the new owners sold their house in order to buy our house and are moving in the day of settlement (a Friday) so I thought we would be able to move out on Saturday, but nope.

The value of housing has gone up so much to be honest we wouldn't be able to afford their mortgage. It really amazes me what they will be paying a month for our house.

I am lucky that my sister has a small house that we will be staying in until the kids finish schools. The rest of my family would let us crash at their places as well, but with my husband already working were we will be moving to we would like to be able to see him more than the weekends. Our place that we have out in the country is looking like our only option, I just don't like being so far from shopping (40 min) plus with no cable/dish my teenager isn't too happy and since we will be selling that as well we don't want to sign up for a year contract on a dish.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:55 PM

8,189 posts, read 30,352,092 times
Have you considered PODS? Way more cost effective that renting a truck, and they will store it for you.

the move I just made involved selling before we found a new house (still looking) and we bought a cargo trailer. We loaded our stuff and the trailer is parked here in the yard. When we do finally unpack it we will sell it, and we should be able to get back what we paid for it.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Have you considered PODS? Way more cost effective that renting a truck, and they will store it for you.

the move I just made involved selling before we found a new house (still looking) and we bought a cargo trailer. We loaded our stuff and the trailer is parked here in the yard. When we do finally unpack it we will sell it, and we should be able to get back what we paid for it.
Yeah, I contacted them but I didn't like the idea if something shifts in transport and gets damaged they don't pay you anything because they said we are responsible for the loading and if it isn't loaded correctly it is our fault. I also read on another board about moving that they do shift when lifting and also can be expensive to have the pod moved to another location.

I like the idea of getting a cargo trailer that is pretty clever, I never even thought of that. What's really bad is that my husband is a truck driver and I said to him to bring the truck and lets load it up but apparently our stuff would get strung all around the trailor. I just don't trust someone I don't know with my stuff (we may not have the best but d*mn it, it's my stuff ) let alone if my hubby was driving, I can play back seat driver .

I am thinking of paying the movers on the first phase, and then have a house warming party for the second.......by the way, grab the end of the couch on your way in .

Old 04-27-2007, 06:11 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,401,557 times
I sold my house and had a short term rental to move into. We were sure our house would be done by the time we had to be out of the short term rental. Well...it wasn't. We then found another rental, but they would only rent for a year minimum. We were certainly sure we wouldn't need it for a year, but had no choice, so we rented. Well, our house was done in a year. We moved 3 times in a year and a half. When I packed, I packed everything that I didn't need for a few months and put it in storage. Both of our rentals were furnished. By the time I moved in, opening every box was like Christmas. It really made me appreciate everything I owned that much more.
A builder ALWAYS takes longer to build your house than they originally say.
My delays were not only the builder, but the land I purchased had a lien on it that had to be cleared through a legal process. Every delay we could have had - we had.
I'm glad that is all behind me, for a while I thought it would never end!
Good luck!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:06 PM

341 posts, read 1,451,870 times
We stayed at a Days Inn. It had a kitchen & den!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:23 AM

1,854 posts, read 9,403,784 times
I liked the pods idea.

If you sign up for Direct-tv, take the receiver with you when you move. They will install a new dish at the new house for free.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,821,324 times
This happen to us - we sold our house and pushed it out as far as we could with the closing date. Their mortgage commitment was going to run out at the rate the buyers got so we had to close. We wanted to rent from them, they didn't have a problem with that but their lawyer did.

Our new home wasn't going to be ready for 3 weeks. We didn't do the PODS because we would have needed 2 and it would have cost too much. We rented a 26' truck from Penske - had packers. We were moving from NJ to SC. We rented a house for a month and pretty much just stored our stuff in it with the bare minimum! It was a 2 story house and we never used the upstairs - packed the garage and downstairs.

When our home was ready - I was SO HAPPY! We rented a smaller truck and made a couple of trips.

At least my son was able to start his new school because we had a contract on the new house - just waiting to close.

Best of luck - I am so glad it is over and done with - I am not doing this for a long time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House