Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:02 PM

433 posts, read 963,917 times

Advertisements

hi,
i have a colonial house (25 years old in great shape) that looks like this. the outside is aluminum sidings.

i'd like to know if it's possible to make it look like this on the outside....Stucco.

question:
1. is it possible?
2. about how much would be the average cost for a 2 story 3k sfh?
3. would a HOA allow that if none of the houses look like stucco style?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:08 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
As far as the HOA, you need to read the restrictions. I imagine they spell out what is acceptable for the outside of the house (for example, our neighborhood prohibits siding or brick or wood.) At the very least I imagine the design committee would need to approve such a change.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Sure, anything can be done if you're willing to spend enough money to do it.

As far as the HOA is concerned, there's no way to know without reading the fine print.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
You can do just about anything if you have the money. No idea what it would cost.

As far as the HOA, check your docs and with your architectural committee. My guess is most would say no. I ran into an issue just trying to get new siding put on a house once. When I bought the house, it was gray aluminum siding that was 20 years old. The HOA refused to let me replace it with gray siding, instead insisting that my house was blue. 20 years before, the siding was a light blue. I was p*ssed b/c I hate blue houses and would not have bought a blue house. The document showing the siding colors of all the houses, of course, was not included in the HOA docs I was given to review before purchasing. I appealed, lost, and had to put up blue siding. Should also add I was required (by the HOA) to put up new siding b/c of hail damage the previous owners didn't repair.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
That would cost you $15,000 to stucco. You could recoupe roughly about $600 selling the aluminum for scrap.

My question is why would you do such a thing? Having spent many many years in the desert south west where everything is ugly stucco I have grown to hate it, probably because it's ugly. The communist HOAs would probably fight you to the death on it. Hitler and Kim Jong Il wrote the HOA rule ya know.

If you must change the siding then why not go vinyl? That house is too nice to ruin it with stucco.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
That's why I would never buy a house where someone else can tell me what to do. HOA stands more for " hoards of aggravation".

Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
I agree with desertsun. Why would you want to? Your house is beautiful. I am from Fl and I am soooo sick of the ugly stucco look.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I agree - NOT to change it. And stucco is a biotch to keep clean, too - much more difficult than siding.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
That's why I would never buy a house where someone else can tell me what to do. HOA stands more for " hoards of aggravation".
And you sure ain't kiddin bout that.

The subject of communist HOAs have been fought over and over in various places on this forum. To date no one has ever come up with one good reason why bringing back communism is a good thing. HOAs are average so called freedom loving Americans adopting the old Soviet Union rule and imposing it on fellow homeowner for their own gain.

Ya know what? Our fathers and our grandfathers have fought and shed blood to preserve our freedoms. Now here we are having average citizens encouraging these communists into their lives and their homes. I dont get it. What am I missing?

Now back to the subject. I'm really glad that everyone else so far has agreed with me. Do not stucco that house. It's really nice as it is. That clapboard whether vinyl or aluminum is what is supposed to be on a colonial.

If your alumimum siding is chauking then there are products out there you add to the pressure washer and your home will look like it has brand new siding. And you wont even have to ask permission from God.......oops sorry I mean Kim Jong Il........oops sorry I mean the HOA. You dont have to ask your HOA commys for permission to wash your house do you? Maybe, I would not be surprised as some HOAs to forbid a dirty car in their neighborhoods and require weekly car washes for every car in the neighborhood.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
That smooth stucco look is nothing but problems, besides being ugly. Water can get behind the stucco and bubble it out. You can fix it, but it will happen again. It's a pain. Many of the expensive houses in my area have this stucco. And you constantly see the repair people out fixing it.

The siding is beautiful and so is the house. I think it would be ruined if changed.

Oh, and good luck with the HOA people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House