Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,929,543 times

Advertisements

How difficult is it to change out a fluorescent fixture to a standard bulb or ceiling fan type fixture. Is this something I should find a handyman for? I am slightly handy, but have never worked with electricity. Yes, I know to shut off the breaker for that fixture!!!

I have been looking at houses and most of them have those darn fluorescent fixtures and I hate those tubes!!! plus, I like having a ceiling fan to move the air in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,323,978 times
If it has a junction box there attached to the framing of the house it's rather easy. They may have used butterfly bolts to attach the old light through the drywall so you may need to repair those holes and paint.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM

23,517 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Yeah, if the fixture was installed correctly, something like this is an easy job. The hardest part is covering up the hole and getting the sheet rock to be smooth and the same color. Seriously, plan on repainting the entire kitchen ceiling, because the grease from cooking will have modified the paint color, and any patch won't match.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,674,056 times
Default Special junction box for the fan.

A ceiling fan requires a special metal junction box. Any home center sells them. These are designed just for mounting ceiling fans. More hefty bolts and is designed to mate with the fan mounting bracket. DO NOT use a standard box. It will be marked on the box, for use with a ceiling fan. Like $2 cost.

Never use a normal plastic or metal junction box like used for standard electrical things like a fluorescent light. There is a lot more weight and stresses involved with a fan.

Plus that box must be mounted a lot more secure. Something that ties it very secure into the joists above. Lots of clips on the web showing this mounting arrangement. You are probably going to wind up cutting a bigger hole than the box and some local repair might be required. Again no rocket science.

The other consideration most ceiling fans would like to have more wires run, not just the normal 14-2 or 12-2 type wire. Usually you want independent control via wall switches for speed and lights, can do it local at the fan but is sort of pedestrian.

A person can DIY. You really aren't "Wiring" anything, the wires are already there. You are doing the mechanical parts of the installation and hooking it up. Just remember the fans are pretty heavy in some models when fully assembled.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,929,543 times
Red face good ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yeah, if the fixture was installed correctly, something like this is an easy job. The hardest part is covering up the hole and getting the sheet rock to be smooth and the same color. Seriously, plan on repainting the entire kitchen ceiling, because the grease from cooking will have modified the paint color, and any patch won't match.

I hadn't thought of that.....will plan on painting the ceiling too....

Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM

Cosmic, the fans I've dealt with don't hang from the box. They have a long eyebolt that goes into a support or rafter, and the fan hangs on that. If, when you install the eyebolt, you can loop a cord through it and stand on the cord, it ain't coming down. Some other fans may be hung from electrical boxes. I just haven't run into them.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,674,056 times
Default God, Harry you are into the big ones..............

Yeah, but Harry those are mostly the bigger fans. I didn't figure here she was talking about something with a six foot wing span.

Most pedestrian smaller units will hang from a special junction box. Those I don't even think most offer a eye bolt hanging option, least I don't remember any that did. Sure does not come standard.

The one thing is never attempt to do it without a junction box of some type and use the fan housing for that purpose. Most places will cause it to fail inspection for that reason.

Like most things in the World, comes in varying sizes, different modes, configurations and shoe lace length. In this forum will cover all variations if we go long enough.

I never wanted to do one of those 150 lb monsters. Beyond the scope of my poor power to detract.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 AM

LOL! The ones I was talking about weren't all that big. Five, maybe six foot diameter, weight of motor under thirty pounds. Maybe I just got the good ones?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,462 times
As Cosmic said you will need a" fan box" to mount it to. The std. elec. box won't hold the weight of the fan. As for running new wire, if you get a fan with a remote control you can use the wire that is in place (assuming it is 14-2 or better). I have one in my bedroom that I added with the wiring that was run for a regular ceiling light (I installed a "fan box that is tied to the ceiling joists). Now I installed the "fan box" from the attic which is much easier then installing it from the ceiling below.
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House