Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

What's the size of the lot?

I think the house is a good size for one person. I say don't spend a lot on expanding it. However, a workshop and utility room on the back would be nice ... maybe not a garage if the lot is small. It's hard to see whether it's deep or not.

I think it needs some curb appeal. The security bars and dead grass make it look very seedy. I might lose the big tree too, but it's hard to tell from one pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Bout what I figured.............The sidewalks sort of gave it away

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
BTW the house across the street, 1405 Garden, is appraised by the county at $718,000. Maybe you should refamiliarize yourself with the east side instead of going by outdated stereotypes.
Wow, $718,000 huh.

I'm am loading my olde shack on a flat bed and moving to East Austin. Skipping Beverly as in Hills. Figure mine should be worth a few million, help out with that gentrified process. Moving on up to the East side.

I figure from the git go this was about big money. Place jist had that smell to it.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:54 PM

348 posts, read 846,820 times
I am far from a reconstruction expert, but from the picture it looks like there is room in the back of the house to add additional living space, and room on the side for a garage for your workshop.

Also you could repaint the house and doors/window sills--get rid of the beige/brown color combination and choose brighter colors, like white house with different color doors/window sills.

Also you could put a white picket fence in the front to replace that chain link, plus get an aerator and grass seed to get the lawn growing green. Maybe some cute shrubs in the front, or trim down the current ones so they look kept.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
justjulia: The lot is ~6800 sq. ft. with an alleyway in back. Yeah the barred windows really aren't necessary so I might take those down. As for the large trees they are pretty rare in this part of Texas so I might have to keep them.

mkforu: I was thinking of adding a single car garage with space for a workshop, W/D, and H20 heater. The exterior are those asbestos shingles, circa 1966. I've heard they have non-asbestos replicas these days but then again new siding probably wouldn't be too expensive on this size house.

A new fence is also a good idea. It's one of the oldest neighborhoods in Austin so I could definitely get away w/ a picket fence.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
I think the cottage has some potential. I like the idea of an oversized single car detached garage/workshop, close to the property line to the side and back (I know some parts of Texas have no zoning- which just floors me!, but I surmise Austin does and you typically can place accessory buildings within setbacks) and then while you are at it, how about a complimentary addition on the opposite side of the rear of the house, also close to setback lines as possible, but this addition should be designed to connect in some way to the house. Maybe just start off with a slab-on-grade cool enclosed porch with a simple roof line (maybe a shed) and with roughed in plumbing for a future bath, this addition could start off as just a porch, additional living space and finished in the future.

Together, the additions would start to define a compound-like feel that could help you design the resulting courtyard to take advantage of the wonderful over-sized treed lot, but because each addition would be relatively modest in size they would not overwhelm the charm of the small cottage, rather just add a nice urban/rural funkiness to the lot. The house looks kind of lost as in a meadow in the country right now, which doesn't reflect the real value of a big lot in the city. By claiming ownership with design to each corner of the lot, figuratively, you have realized the value and potential.

Just some free architecture advice (yes, I am one) - take it for what its worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House