Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:59 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,113 times

Advertisements

I dread cleaning my enclosed fiber glass shower. It takes forever. WIth the built in non-skid bottom, it's like the dirt cements itself into the floor. The sliding doors...we won't even go there . Is there a good way to clean this? I've tried cleaners, sprays, etc. It can take me 30 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM

33 posts, read 291,636 times
I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on mine and it really does clean it like magic.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
The best solution to anything in life is to prevent the problem in the first place. The first order of business is this: DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT USE SOAP.

Soap is not only bad for your skin but it filths up the shower. Imagine the damage it does to your skin. Instead use a non soap cleansing bar. The best in the world is Shaklee brand but you can only go to an independant dealer for it. Much easier is all the drug stores or some grocery stores sell Aveno Cleansing bar. This is really the only brand I know which is a non soap cleansing bar. They are non soap meaning no soap scum. I promise you and I bet the farm on it that you will feel much cleaner when you dont use that disgusting soap.

I so rarely have to ever clean the shower because there is never any soap scum buildup. And we are much healthier for it. That garbage you buy in the stores burn off the acid mantle on your skins surface which is like an immune system for your skin. Your skin is 80% absorbant normally but soap makes it 100%. This leaves you more open to silly little flus an colds.

Try it.............

Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
They are non soap meaning no soap scum. I promise you and I bet the farm on it that you will feel much cleaner when you dont use that disgusting soap.

I so rarely have to ever clean the shower because there is never any soap scum buildup. And we are much healthier for it. That garbage you buy in the stores burn off the acid mantle on your skins surface which is like an immune system for your skin. Your skin is 80% absorbant normally but soap makes it 100%. This leaves you more open to silly little flus an colds.

Try it.............
Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I have NEVER thought of soap in that way. Makes sense. I'll give the Aveeno a whirl and see what happens. Is Dove considerd non-soap?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
I've got one of those fiber glass tubs with shower door in one of my bathrooms. This is what I have done about it. First get it as clean as possible. Then I bought one of those Shower maid things that spray around. After you take a shower close the shower doors. Then reach in, and click on the shower maid. The cleaner doesn't smell real good ,so you may want to leave the shower door closed for a while.

After using the shower maid for a while the tub will stay clean. The exception might be if you use bath oil. That stuff will stick to tubs and would need to be scrubed out.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,183 times
I can't believe this thread! I sat down at my comp to take a break from cleaning my fiberglass shower. I'm tuckered out! And...the dang thing isn't clean yet. I have to go back and do some more scrubbing.

What Desertsun said about soap is true. No one could know this better than I. My shower is a dark raspberry color. Color should hide all grime, right? WRONG!!! Much worse...it shows a white nasty looking film after each use. (You'd never notice this in a white or ivory shower.) I did notice after we first got the thing installed that there was much less white film when we switched to Zest...you know, rinses cleaner than soap?

Anyway, I've been away from home over 2 months and my hubby was here alone. OMG!!! The shower hasn't been cleaned in all that time. Our particular shower takes up an entire wall...could probably hold 6 or more people! There are seats at each end and hubby sits for a long time letting the hot water beat on his back. There's always a bad white film where he sits and soaps up. I'd wondered about trying out a "non-soap" and definitely will now. I saw a Shaklee dealer in my phone book.

Oh...the "tips" pamplet that came with our shower said that waxing it would help keep it clean...would allow soap to wash away more easily. Fine for the smooth wall areas, but the non-skid flloor would be a *mess*! Can you imagine trying to get the excess wax removed from that type floor?

And the glass doors...we have 2 large ones. I'll discuss them another day.

ETA: When and "if" I ever get my shower clean, will be looking for that "Shower Maid" thangamagig that Waterlily mentioned.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I have NEVER thought of soap in that way. Makes sense. I'll give the Aveeno a whirl and see what happens. Is Dove considerd non-soap?
Ask any Alergiist or Dermatoligist and they will tell you that Dove and Ivory are the worst thing you could posibly put on your skin. Oh but the ad on TV say they work so they must. Stupid commercials....all lies!

Honestly the only 3 non soap cleansing bars I know of are Shaklee, Aveno and Nutragena. Nutragena is just slimy crap......it seems like you can run the water on you and rub it and rub it and it is still slimy. Shaklee is the best on earth but only sold through private distributors. The Aveno is available at every major drug store and some better grocery stores. I think I pay $3.29 for a bar. If you buy those 10 packs of that soap crap for a few dollars then you will get sick more as well as make work for yourself with all the extra cleaning.

I promise you that.

And I have more important things to do then clean a bath tub. I cant even tell you the last time I had to and it is very clean.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I do not have fiberglass, but I have good luck on soap film with Ivory dishwashing liquid. It's my understanding that Ivory is not soap so it dissolves soap scum. I've heard that shampoo works for the same reason.
Be carefull to rinse thoroughly since it is very slippery.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the tips. I too took a break from cleaning, as Debb posted. I feel bad about it, the shower really must be done. Just can't bring myself to finishing it now, don't want to finish it now. I will need it tomorrow though. Once this thing is clean, I'll try the dishwash, and the shower maid thingee. And btw, the Aveeno is $2.64 or something close at Target.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I only took note of this thread to mention that I have problems getting my tub cleaned (I take mostly baths). It's got a textured finish, which makes wiping it out nigh impossible. The only things that have worked--out of the things I've tried--are bleach and kitchen cleanser (like Comet). But the latter leaves residue behind, and has to be rinsed out very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House