Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

At my lowes they rekey locks you buy for free and $5.00 if you didn't buy it there. Very simple watching them do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 22,836 times
At my Lowes they will not touch it after it has left the store. They charge $5 for the ones they do rekey.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 PM

645 posts, read 706,473 times
do you guys recommend re-key the lock or change the lock? any problems locking/unlocking the lock after you rekey it? only 2 to 5 bucks to re-key it that sounds like the way to go!

my front door and garage door locks they are single cylinder lock, possible to rekey it or I need to chnage it all out? I am thinking about taking the lock off and have home depot rekey it, shouldn't be hard to take it off right?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
If the person doing the rekeying knows what they are doing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with rekeying an existing lock rather than replacing it.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy1102 View Post
At my Lowes they will not touch it after it has left the store. They charge $5 for the ones they do rekey.
Same at HD when I asked about this last year. So I bought a $25 Schlage lock, added 5 for the rekeying.

It's no different rekeying or buying new. For me, I brought in the key for an existing lock and had the new lock keyed to that so 1 key can open both. I would've taken the lock off and take that to HD but the store won't rekey a lock that isn't purchased there.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 AM

645 posts, read 706,473 times
called home depot and lowes they won't re-key it if you didn't buy it there, who do you guys take the locks to to get it re-keyed?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
called home depot and lowes they won't re-key it if you didn't buy it there, who do you guys take the locks to to get it re-keyed?
You can take to a locksmith but they not cheap. Depending on the quality of the lock to begin with. If it's an older Schalage, I rekey myself since I have the kit. If it's a cheap lock, I would just replace the entire lock and maybe replace the other ones as well to make it all the same key. If you are buying multiples Schalage, match up the number and it will be the same key.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,222 times
Smile allsafe

One problem I have found with rekeying your own locks is that if the key you are keying to isn't cut exactly as the duplicate keys, you could end up locked out and in need of a lock repair. I am a locksmith. To rekey a house in my area is: 45.00 service and 10.00 per cylinder, on most house locks.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-06-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,907 times
I realize this is an old thread but feel I must report my recent experience regarding rekeying my own locks by myself.

several years ago I used a kit made by prime-line called "Re-key a lock". It is an easy to use kit and contains 3 keys and enough pins to rekey 6 locks. I used one designed for kwik set and other locks using the same pattern key( ie. Defiant, Gatehouse, etc). Not a problem then. Now I needed to rekey those same locks. I purchased a new rekey kit from Home Depot. Damn I got one keyed for the same key I already have. I went back and looked and all the kwikset rekeys were for the same key. Went to Lowes.....Same key...Home Depot in another city...Same thing. I am about to talk to a customer rep at Prime-Line and Hope to be able to find a rekey set with a different cut key, but I shudder to think that alll of Northern California that have kwikset locks rekeyed by the owners might have the same key...happy days for burglars and home invasion artists. Beware of this possible problem and make sure there are different keys availabe if you choose to rekey your own locks this way..

Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
When my house was being built, I bought two door handles and two dead bolts for front and garage door at an Ace hardware. Had all four locks changed for one key. I think I paid $25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House