Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,177 times

Advertisements

I had s similar situation five years ago. After doing plenty of research, I decided to go with Roofwrap. It's an online purchase that comes in a complete kit form. It's delivered to your home. Its a single rubber sheet that goes right over the structurally fixed roof. Along with two friends of mine, we installed it in a day. So far, so good. If it keeps doing its job, I think it was a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
We've been in the metal roofing business for about 18 years. the first 12 years we did installation and sales, but we phased out the installation about 7 years ago, focusing just on distribution. We've seen many different applications with metal roofing going on mobile homes. We've seen basic gable style roofing system built over the existing roof....fairly common. We see basic retrofit alot. One thing that seems to be catching on is if the slope is nearly flat, we've seen people use one sheet to cover from eave to eave. usually people do that to save money, and even though it might not be the best looking, I cant really see a downside as far the ability to leak. There's enough slope to where water wont pool, plus there's no joint at the top anyway.

either way, mobile homes are fairly cheap to re-roof, since there's very few parts.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,851 times
"Quick Roof Ultra Bond" was invented for quick and reliable roof repair during hurricane Katrina. I couldn't find it in stores, but it is sold on most full service store websites, and the price isn't too bad - $38 for a roll 4'x25'. I recently had to use it on an older metal roofed mobile that I recently purchased and it works great and easy to apply. It says on the package that it is guaranteed to seal leaks for up to 15 years. Eventually when dryer weather comes around we will build a giant carport if you will, but for now the leaks are stopped and I don't have to live in fear of black mold.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,851 times
But if you are really strapped for cash, then you can buy some regular tarps and a can or 2 of all weather spray glue for a durable but temporary fix since tarps are usually only good for about a year before they start leaking. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I watched a tin roof being put on an older mobile down in SC....That might be an option.
The galvanized tin ( silver) being less costly then the colored tin.

But for replacement, for a sturdy roof........they do a whole new support system. ( Roofover)
This is 6 X6 posts all around the base of the mobile home, as the footing for a regular, made new roof with a peak. I have watched this process quite a few times in the SC area.
I have to agree. I've lived in mobile homes for 8 of the last 11 years and one thing I've found out, the roofs all end up leaking. The older they are, the worse they are. The last trailer I lived in, the landlord tarred and tarred and tarred for three years straight. Didn't do a bit of good.

If your roof leaks, yes, it might be easy to repair, but consider how much water is going to get into your walls, your window sills, and might even drip on your furniture and carpet first.

If I thought a metal roof would keep a roof from leaking (and I don't really know anything about them), then that's what I'd do because I like to hear rain on the roof. But otherwise, a roofover would be the only other thing I'd trust. Otherwise you might end up like me before I moved out, with soft spots under the floor, mold all over the ceilings, carpenter ants in the walls, and ruined furniture from indoor rain. Never again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House