Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times

Advertisements

Had a tree fall on my mobile home and puncture the roof in several spots. Some rips, tears, cracks, and literal holes.

Weight is my first concern while money the second. [older home, 11 foot wide, small sloped roof but pretty flat]

Do you have any ideas besides the stuff that comes in buckets? {I think I'm past the point of using seals, tars and stuff- I need a new roof}
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
I usually say nothing if I dont know the answer rather then providing guesses like so many others do which end up costing you more money and stress.

In this case I admit I have little experience with mobile homes but I do have extensive experience with RVs (recreation Vehicles) and since I am in RV supply dealers with stores I seen many products you may want to look at. Try the most famous one called Camper World. Most every city has one. They have these membrane skins if your structual damage is not that great. They are light weight and fairly easy to apply if you are not affraid of being on the roof.

Do not let anyone talk you into roof shingles either tab or roll type.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default What is on there now????

Sounds like you have a roll roof with maybe a tar covering that somebody did to extend its life. That could have been of many different weights, 90 - 30 #. You do see older mobiles like that.

Most mobiles do have regular shingles, either 3 tab or architectural. Due to the flatter slopes, many use ice shield a long way up or over the complete roof.

You could also look at the option of putting on a rubber roof.

The roof should be stripped, inspected and determined if the underlayment in the roof decking needs to also be replaced. Mobiles are well known for their cheap everything. New plywood installed if required. The roofs will bear the weight of standard shingles in most cases.

A pix of the mobile also will help.

Are we talking one of those very old aluminum skin jobs that looked more like big ancient campers with essentially just a tar covered built up roof over some membrane? Totally different story. Today, probably want a rubber roof. But to get it will require a complete replacement of everything including the roof wood underlayment.

If that is too expensive then you are back to some type of cheap rolled roofing, again 30 - 90 # range, with a tarred final coat. Just the ways of the World. You can't have really Great on a soda pop budget.

You might also check with the local mobile home sellers in your area. Find out who does a lot of maintenance on them. See what they might recommend. They might have some cheap membrane to throw up there. The way things are done on mobiles differs a lot compared to normal houses. More tar in your future if you want it really cheap.

The new roof is worth more than the old mobile in far too many cases. Got to find the right guy. I know of one park and there is an old Amish type guy and he does them for like $1500 with regular shingles. Easy thing to reroof. Most times they do strip them every time, no second layers used.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
I watched a tin roof being put on an older mobile down in SC....That might be an option.
The galvanized tin ( silver) being less costly then the colored tin.

But for replacement, for a sturdy roof........they do a whole new support system. ( Roofover)
This is 6 X6 posts all around the base of the mobile home, as the footing for a regular, made new roof with a peak. I have watched this process quite a few times in the SC area.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Be careful raising that roof...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
But for replacement, for a sturdy roof........they do a whole new support system. ( Roofover)
This is 6 X6 posts all around the base of the mobile home, as the footing for a regular, made new roof with a peak. I have watched this process quite a few times in the SC area.
God what great idea. You put a roof over the entire trailer like putting it into a garage. Could even extend it down for a porch, with optional swing.

In many places in Ohio, that would not be possible due to the way the mobiles are taxed and regulated via local codes. Anything more permanent in the ground then it changes their tax status. They are taxed different for real estate taxes than a house. Many mobile park rules totally prevent building anything outside the mobile envelope, especially changing its design or attaching it differently into the ground. It is supposed to be a mobile. In Ohio they are bought and sold more like cars than houses.

Even how awnings, porch or driveway covering are done is regulated different. How porch steps must be built, they also can not be permanently attached. So you must also know all rules for your own area. Roof must be just so, even the shed out back is super regulated. Mobiles depreciate for tax purposes if they follow the rules. Really super important in many places because of the way the school taxes are applied. New roof design might cost a lot more each year if you get it bad wrong in some locations. Always keep an eye on the damn taxman, they have lots of ways to nick you, especially in today's World.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
The roofovers are somewhat common around here. Some of them look fine, some of them are ones you look at and go "Oh my! Bless their hearts."

On an 11' wide semi-flat roof, I would probably go with an EDPM sheet (also used as a pond liner) and put a coat of white Koolseal on top to limit UV damage. Pretty lightweight, not particularly damaged by hail, waterproof and in a fire it will burn away. A tin roof on a mobile home means that any fire will be a total loss, no matter how fast water is put on it. The firemen can't easily pierce the roof with a water jet, and the tin reflects the heat back down into the structure.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I watched a tin roof being put on an older mobile down in SC....That might be an option.
The galvanized tin ( silver) being less costly then the colored tin.

I have seen this too. It is also great for getting yourself into shade in the summer. If you are in a mobile home park they wont let you though.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Grace,
These "roofover" systems are fairly common.
Not cheap, though.
I am assuming you are in a metal roof home.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 18,315 times
could you glue then shingles on with a very strong type of glue?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Best to go with a local reputable roofer who will insure their work. Roofing a mobile home isn't as expensive as a traditional home. It you have the cash, you can get those metal roofs that are warrantied for about 10 years. If your home is on your own property, get your roof repaired AND THEN build the roofover. I've seen some that have added material to enhance the look and they not only look nice, they'll cut your summer cooling bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House