Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 04:16 AM

431 posts, read 1,306,311 times

Advertisements

I am buying a house where the kitchen does not have a dishwasher. How big of a project would it be to have one installed by removing some bottom cabinet space next to the sink? Would this cost a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
There is not just cabinet removal to consider; you need the plumbing hookups and electrical outlet too.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,075 times
Default Not that big a deal...............

But you must also consider what is in that base cabinet area and what the dimensions, sizes, etc are.

The standard base cabinet for a dishwasher is a particular size designed for the purpose. So whatever is selected must be at least that big or larger. Any base cabinet can be modified but that type work in today's World leaves one open to a lot of price gouging. Wow custom work, that requires a real expert.

The dishwasher does not have to be located just right by the sink. You can put it anywhere you please. It is on a back wall of the kitchen in my house, the sink is across the room. I designed and built it that way. In general trying to use standard base cabinets not designed for the dish washer isn't the way to go in many cases, better to look for another possible location that can be more treated like new construction work.

Not difficult or all that expensive to do if DIY. Of course the drains, water supply plumbing and electrical must be provided but none of it is rocket science. If not DIY, they may try to make a major project out of it, retire after that one job.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
We did this in one of our houses. Took out a bottom cabinet next to the sink because it was easier to do it that way. Easy, not expensive, and worked out well.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Well the easiest way is to remove a 24" base cabinet and the best most proper place is next to the sink. If you do not have a 24" base then I will tell you not to do it. To modify a base is beyond nearly everyone I met. The other option is if your kitchen is not too old you would identify the brand name and then can purchase a base box to fit your modification.

What I mean is if you only have a 36" base where the DW needs to go then you can remove it and purchase a 12" base to put in it's place leaving the 24" for the DW. You really need 24.25" but you can make it work with just 24".

Your other option and your very best easiest cheapest option is to buy a DW on wheels. They come with a nice top which doubles as additional work space, they have a hookup that goes on to your standard kitchen faucett and they are very high quality. When you are done doing dishes you just roll the DW into a corner.

A portable DW needs no plumbing hookups and no modifications of any kind. They come with a standard plug you just plug into the wall and a special hookup you screw into your faucett where the little screw on strainer is. The DW hookup will snap on and off of this new hookup.

Just google portable dishwashers and you will find many many to choose from. I believe there is no better option for you. Dont try and mess with the cabinets.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times
Sounds like a good excuse to rehaul you rentire kitchen.....you know you want to! And lol at dishwaser on wheels....maybe if you rent!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,692,612 times
Just did this. Installing a dishwasher is one of the easiest things I've done in my home renovation. Putting in the microwave/hood was the hardest...right after plumbing the whole house.

Do the research on the "work triangle" and space needed to ensure your appliances can be opened all the way and passerbyers or those in the kitchen don't run into each other.

Not enough room by your sink as that's the best spot for the dishwasher....then you can put in a new sink somewhere else- even a veggie sink w/ a disposer (this is what I did because my dishwasher was placed in an island and the sink too far away- actually, I built the island myself)

It would be alot of cost if you pay someone else but if you do it yourself it's just materials. If you put it near your sink you can tap into the water source and drain from there w/o new plumbing. You will need new adapters and such but your local Lowes or Home Depot is where I'd head.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM

431 posts, read 1,306,311 times
Wow! Great information. Thank you everyone! I will look into this more as a diy after getting
A dedicated outlet. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House