Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM

15 posts, read 58,663 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a house and the people before us had a ton of cats, I guess they peed everywhere from the smell of it, we have cleaned the carpets and painted all the walls and sprayed Urine odor removers I am at a loss now as to what to do.. Any Idea's????? we are going to go under the house and spray next but is there anything else we can do. I just can't stand the odor....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmychows View Post
We just moved into a house and the people before us had a ton of cats, I guess they peed everywhere from the smell of it, we have cleaned the carpets and painted all the walls and sprayed Urine odor removers I am at a loss now as to what to do.. Any Idea's????? we are going to go under the house and spray next but is there anything else we can do. I just can't stand the odor....
Remove the carpets and bleach the subfloor/slab until you are satisfied that the odor is gone before laying new carpet. The carpet underlayment is going to be really nasty more or less regardless of what you do to the exposed carpet.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:35 PM

160 posts, read 789,610 times
Rubbing alcohol works great but you'd have to use a lot (gallons) to clean up carpet and padding.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:09 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I knew the bleach works but had no idea about the alcohol. Seems the alcohol would be the safer choice of the two.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 PM

15 posts, read 58,663 times
Thank you all we have used some bleach, we will be putting in hard wood floors but not for a few months.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I knew the bleach works but had no idea about the alcohol. Seems the alcohol would be the safer choice of the two.
Either would sublimate completely, but the nice thing about bleach is that it will not burn.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:07 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,462 times
I had this problem with an older cat, and I could not bear to part with him. I also had decided to take up all the carpet and put down hardwood floors to try and alleviate the problem. The carpet and padding was a total loss, but I soaked the subflooring with something called "Simple Solution", and it took care of about 98% of the smell. I have since installed the hardwood floors, and only occasionally - on a very hot and humid day - there may be a slight whiff, but very little. I think many of the pet stores sell it. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,634 times
My husband and I have cats, and we have had a problem with one of them urinating outside the litter box, onto the floor, our mattress, etc. We found that a simple mixture of vinegar and water will take away the stains and smell--just mix vinegar and water into a spray bottle, spray on the areas that smell and scrub with paper towels. The area will smell like vinegar for a few days, but after that the smell is gone. We have successfully used this on hardwood floors--never tried it on carpet, though, because the cat has never peed on our carpet. We like this method because it doesn't use any chemicals and works really well. When one of the cats peed on our bed several times I thought we'd have to get rid of the mattress--instead we sprayed the vinegar/water mixture on the stains--got rid of them completely and we kept the mattress.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:19 PM

32 posts, read 59,318 times
My Father had this problem with my Brothers room because of a cat that peed too high for the sides of the box. He had to take out the carpet and pad, and then sealed the sub flooring with Kilz. Once it was good and dry he had the new carpet installed and has no scent left at all.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Might correct the problem at its source...........

Once I dealt with the immediate problem, might go back and look at the source of the problem.

Namely the kitty / litterbox interface.

Either the kitty is not wired right or something in the litterbox is not right. Might be too small, might not have the right materials, the kitty ain't liking the peeing grounds, maybe it is not cleaned, changed often enough.

Kitties normally come programmed to do the business in a proper fashion. If it ain't happening correctly something is usually wrong and it might not be with the kitty. Usually that part of the brain comes out perfect in most model year of cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House