Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times

Advertisements

OK so I have a bunch of questions:

What is the room on the other side of the wall where you have the desk?
Must the pantry be where it is?
Is that a hallway next to it?
This is a new build right?
Is that a built in microwave?
How are you planning on venting the cooktop?
Is it possible for you to post the entire floorplan so that the kitchen's relationship to the rest of the house is easier to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 12:31 PM

47 posts, read 272,651 times
-What is the room on the other side of the wall where you have the desk?

trying to make it a laundry room

- Must the pantry be where it is?

if its in a bad place I'd like feedback - just had it put there as part of layout

- Is that a hallway next to it?

yes, to the garage

- This is a new build right?

yes, floor plan is still being nailed out

- Is that a built in microwave?

yes, under the counter

- How are you planning on venting the cooktop?
vent hood on top

- Is it possible for you to post the entire floorplan so that the kitchen's relationship to the rest of the house is easier to understand?

will try, but entire floorplan is still in design so nothing concrete to put up just yet...

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan08 View Post
- Must the pantry be where it is?

if its in a bad place I'd like feedback - just had it put there as part of layout
In that case, I think your pantry is in a very bad spot. Look at the route you have to take to get there from the stove. You have to get around that huge island.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
If you're building a new home, now is the time to spend extra money to save money. Get with an HVAC company for a quality heating and cooling system that uses less energy while maintaining your home in good comfort. Proper attic ventilation for your region will also help with your utility cost. If you need an attic fan, consider a solar powered thermostaticly controlled fan. Consider a tankless water heater for lower utility cost. For the kitchen sink, get a tall goose neck faucet. They come in handy for big pots. Ceiling fans are a must in the living room and bedrooms. If you're concerned about home air purification, again, check with the HVAC company. Our HVAC mechanic at work said the best location for the air filter (for filtering home air) is in the ceiling. If you live in a warm climate with mild winters then consider a heat pump unit with electric heat strips for if it gets too cold outside.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Are you really and truly dead-set on having an island in that kitchen? Is that *the ONLY* way homes sell in your neighborhood? Because in all honesty, I don't think you've got enough space in that room to have an island. There are two adult cooks in our family, three when our daughter is over, and we would all be tripping over each other trying to work in that space.

I agree with Texas Horse Lady about the length of that triangle, too. I'd lose the island and tighten up that triangle, probably by putting the sink in the corner on the lower right, pushing the stove over to about where you've got the microwave, and putting the microwave on a rolling cart next to the desk.

The pantry may not be as close to the rest of the kitchen as would be ideal in a perfect world, but speaking as a person whose "pantry" is a set of steel shelves at the foot of the basement stairs, just having it on the same level as the kitchen would be sheer luxury.

I'd still turn that dining room into a library, but that's just me.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I'd still turn that dining room into a library, but that's just me.
I love that idea.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I would eliminate wall between dining area/livingroom and make a great room which would include eat-in kitchen. We always had formal diningrooms but everyone ended up in the kitchen and the formal diningroom was rarely used.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I would put teh firge there as it will block the aisle when opened. Also looking at the frigator for size that island is too big for that kitchen.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan08 View Post
Ok, here's another layout for a kitchen
Feedback/critique appreciated!
I don't like the placement of the fridge in the middle like that, it's awkward, not very convenient and makes the kitchen feel out of balance.

I would move the desk to where you have the refrigerator and put the fridge on the left wall facing the island.

Also, consider going with no island or a smaller one at least

Old 09-20-2009, 09:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Don't put the microwave next to the stove
You are reading that wrong I believe. The microwave in not on the counter - it is hanging ABOVE the counter NEXT TO the stove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House